episode seventeen

Jax approaches Amelia's room slowly, pausing just outside

Jax approaches Amelia's room slowly, pausing just outside. She's apparently doing well and is on a long road to recovery so he figured now is probably a good time to see her before she's too strong and too mouthy for him to get a word in. He knocks twice and eases the door open.

Amelia looks up as he comes in and slowly sets her book down. "Hi..."

Jax nods once. "Hey... I wondered if we could talk?"

"Now? While I'm had dead in a hospital bed?" She raises an eyebrow.

Jax smirks a little. "You're less able to beat me up right now, thought I'd shoot my shot." He teases.

Amelia laughs lightly. "Very true... what's up?"

"I know you and Enora haven't exactly made up yet but I wanted to talk to you since it's bound to happen." He leans on the drawers opposite the bed. "I just... wanted to figure out what I did wrong and try put it right."

Amelia chews her cheek and sighs. "You didn't do anything wrong." She admits, looking at him. "I'm just... an addict who doesn't trust other addicts. That includes you and Enora. I don't trust you can make your own decision."

Jax nods slowly, looking at the floor. "Right... so it doesn't matter that I've got 3 and a half years clean?" He looks up.

Amelia gives a genuine smile. "Congrats. That's a solid stretch, keep it up. It does matter, don't get me wrong, but I've dated addicts and ex addicts before and we've always ended up the same."

"Our experience is not your experience." Jax tries to remain calm. "When she... when she almost relapsed not long after we got together it tore me up. The people I saw, the state they were in, it made me sick. I never wanted to be like them again. I know she's got that same attitude."

"She still drinks. That worries me." Amelia shakes her head.

"So? She's not doing opiods. She's not drunk every day, in fact she doesn't get drunk. She drinks socially, we don't have a drop in the house." He shrugs as he crosses his arms. "You just... need to criticise her don't you?"

Amelia narrows her eyes. "You speak for her a lot. Don't you?" She challenges.

"Not at all. Just when it comes to those she's too scared to face. Or too worried to hurt." He smirks.

"Sure." She nods slowly. "You just... you remind me of my brother." She admits. "Her father. You're like him."

"I am?" Jax frowns.

"Strong willed, takes no shit, speaks up when those around him need it. But you're also... care free. It took Derek a long time to get to that yet you've mastered it." Amelia muses.

Jax smiles small. "Do you think she notices that?"

"Absolutely. But she loves you still." Amelia smirks. "You're not so bad, okay? I misjudged you, I'm sorry." She says slowly. "You've taken care of Enora so much in the last 2 years and I should've thank you for that rather than put you down."