episode fifty seven

Enora leans on the wall to the entryway of the auditorium where Derek is currently giving his big 'why I became who I am' speech and 'why I'm no longer operating' shpiel

Enora leans on the wall to the entryway of the auditorium where Derek is currently giving his big 'why I became who I am' speech and 'why I'm no longer operating' shpiel. She watches him closely, taking him in. He's changed. It's still him, of course, but totally different.

His hair is all white from age. He's got a few more wrinkles and a darker tan. The attitude and presence, though, that's the same. It hasn't even really been too long since she last saw him - well, two years is a long time but when you think about his disappearances from her life, it isn't.

"I will always regret taking you from your mother. Always."

The words have been stuck in her head since that day. Part of her wants to demand what he means but the other part wants to forget it ever happened.

Arms gently wrap around her and she looks over as she sucks in a breath since she forgot to breathe for the last minute or two. "Hi." She whispers as she leans into Jax.

"Hi." He whispers back, kissing her jaw. "You shouldn't torture yourself like this." He muses.

"Curiosity." She admits as she pulls her vibrating phone out. "Wanna come to the pit with me? Mom needs me."

"Come on then." He pulls her out of the auditorium, gladly doing so, and heads down to the pit with her.

"Jax, you'll do." Mer says as they approach, dressed in a boiler suit with a 'DOCTOR' label on the chest, back and leg. "Suit up, we gotta go." She throws one at Nor and a 'nurse' on at Jax.

"Where are we-"

"Landslide at the cliffs." Mer cuts Jax off. "All hands on deck, let's go."

"Are you sure you want me?" Jax asks as he slips the suit on and zips it up.

"I don't have time to be all mushy and nice, get in the rig!" Mer snaps as she climbs in.

Jax smirks a little and closes the door as he climbs in. He and Nor both tie their trainers tighter and check the bags for stock; Nor begins giving him advice on what to possible except and what to do, who to prioritise. They don't teach you about this in nursing school.

The moment the rig stops, they're out. Facing them is the beach - or what remains. Half of the shoreline is now covered in debris and mud, a lot of it. Tents are being erected in the clear half, away from the tide that'll eventually come in. A dozen or so ambos and easily two dozen fire and rescue trucks surround the area.

Jax swallows hard. "Where-"

"Go. Just start triage. Set up IVs if needed, tag people. Green they can walk, amber they will need to seek medical assistance, red they're in need of immediate help." Enora explains. "And-and black... I think you'll know when it's a black tag. You got this. I love you, be careful!" She calls as she rushes off towards the slide.

Jax takes a deep breath and sets to work. He does as she said - triage, tag. Luckily, most of the patients coming this way are green tags, some amber ones that are the walking wounded. He's just finished putting a butterfly stitch into a girls forehead when he sees a figure approach.