episode sixty seven

AN// I'll be updating the playlist over the next few days, make sure you check it out. Song suggestions welcome.

Enora has barely slept the last few days; how can she when she doesn't know where her husband is or if he's still her husband at all? The whole thing seems stupid. Yes she's so mad he called her psycho but she shouldn't have snapped when he made a passing comment. Even if it was half aimed at her.

"How you doing Julian?" She asks as she heads into his room.

"Better than you by the looks of things." He smirks.

She rolls her eyes playfully. "Be nice, I'm in control of your drugs."

"Damn, my bad." He smiles. "Seriously though... you look like shit."

"You're oh so charming. What is it with this generation? Respect your elders!" She pokes him as she checks his vitals.

He smirks. "You are like 4 times my age."

She takes a dramatic deep breath. "Julian... how old do you think I am?"

"40?" He shrugs.

Enora bites her knuckle. "Oh you're so dead you are so dead." She mutters.

Kai comes in with a coffee as usual. "Dead?"

"Kai, how old am I?" She demands.

They laugh nervously. "Ah uh..." they scratch their head as they try to remember. "Thirty... thirty fi..fo...six?"

"I am thirty three goddammit!" She snaps, grabbing her tablet. "For that you're going last on my schedule so you have to be hungry all day."

Julian laughs as she leaves, Kai smiling a little. They sit in the armchair and play with the paper cup. "You get along with Nor." They note.

Julian looks at his parent. "I guess so, yeah. One of the best docs I've had I think." He shrugs.

Kai smiles small. "She was the first of Amelia's family to show me kindness. We helped each other a lot over the years. Sucks I can't help her now."

"What's going on with her? She's been... off the last 2 days." He wonders.

"Marital issues. Never marry, kid." They shake their head.

Julian rests his head back. "Would you... Will you ever marry Amelia? What made her the one for you?"

"Marriage isn't really my thing. I've never thought about it, honestly." They admit, taking a deep breath. "And... she was so down to earth. I kept my circle tight but she slipped on in and broadened it. Made me feel fuzzy." They shrug.

"Did... did I ever make you feel anything like love?" He glances over.

Kai's eyebrows shoot up. "Woah god, deep questions... um okay." They shift and blow air from their cheeks. "I've never felt a love like it. When I held you, that is. I never understood love at first sight. But that first feeling of love was pissed on by the realisation I couldn't be what you wanted. Back then I was the lesbian who wasn't quite a lesbian trying to be the definition of queer. I was trying to be everything I didn't want to."

"In a way..." Julian begins. "In a way I'm glad. I know I give you shit for giving me up but I'm thankful most of the time. Who knows where either of us would be if... if you hadn't." He looks at them fully.

Kai looks back. "As much as I love a heart to heart... you're not thinking of dying on me, are you? Is that what all this is?"

Julian cracks a smile. "Nah, I'm not going anywhere. Got a life time of childhood trauma to take out on you."