episode thirty nine

Knox paces the hospital room constantly tugging on his hair, his body currently in the peak of its withdrawal

Knox paces the hospital room constantly tugging on his hair, his body currently in the peak of its withdrawal. "Get me the fuck out of here!" He yells.

Enora and Paul, his social worker, stand outside the room watching. "His current foster parents have withdrawn their offer to take him back." He says solemnly. "That's the third in a year. They were specialised in troubled teens."

Enora frowns sadly. "That's shitty. When you foster, you know it is going to be tough. No one pretends its easy - these kids go through... unimaginable things and have no idea how to handle them." She shakes her head angrily.

Paul watches her. "You're a Foster parent aren't you?"

Enora raises an eyebrow. "Yes... but my husband and I are looking for Foster to Adopt cases. Knox is not one of those."

"I know I know but... you're also an ex-addict, no?" He has a blank expression that Enora can't decipher.

She narrows her eyes, her arms uncrossing from her chest so she can slip her hands in her pockets. "I was... you have my file don't you." She realises.

He smiles sheepishly. "Mrs Andrews, I do apologise, I'd never normally... but Knox has nowhere else to go. We are running out of options, he's facing juvie at this rate and we both don't want that."

"But I don't know how I can help him, Mr Sullivan. He's 16, he's not a child needing looking after-"

"He is."

"I apologise, let me rephrase. He isn't a child who needs feeding and clothing and soothing. He's a boy who needs professional help, not a paediatric surgeon and ex junkie." She shakes her head.

"You and your husband both know what he's going through. And you know what he's in for if he doesn't stop. Why can't you show him that? He needs someone who knows the pain, the emotion, the urge. I can't help him any more than just putting him in a home he will hate and likely abuse. Won't you even consider it?" He begs.

Enora takes a deep breath. "This isn't a decision I can make. My husband and I, were both working very hard at being sober but I don't know how on top of that we are. I need to discuss the idea of it with him before I even throw the case at him." She shakes her head.

Paul smiles small. "I understand-"

"Just drop me an email if there's anything else!" Enora calls as her pager interrupts so she takes off running. She checks it as she runs, her heart in her throat. "No no no no no!"

Her heart thumps loudly as she rushes to the right room, nurses already working on then patient. "How long!" She demands, taking over compressions.

"3 minutes, Doctor."

Enora looks at the monitors. "Come on Fae. Cmon." She mutters. "Push epi."

"We ha-"

"Again!" She glares, looking back to the monitor. She keeps going, refusing to let anyone else taken over. "How long?"