episode fifty nine

Meredith blows the air from her cheeks and hums to herself as she looks over the jumble of words she's currently trying to 'analyse'

Meredith blows the air from her cheeks and hums to herself as she looks over the jumble of words she's currently trying to 'analyse'. She knows she has to leave soon but if she does she'll have to do this tomorrow and then her work tomorrow will run over... God, how did Bailey and Webber do this!

Her answer comes with a phone call from her husband; she does it with love and support. "Hey, I was just-"

"You need to come home now." Hayes says quickly.

Mer is instantly alert. "Whats happened? Who got hurt-"

"No no, nothing like that. Zozo has locked herself in her room and she won't come out. She got back from class like 10 minutes ago, ran to her room and locked the door. She's pushed something against it, I don't know what's wrong." He sounds panicked, worried.

Meredith shoves things in her purse as she rushes to get out fast. "Okay. Okay, I'm coming."

She races home, driving like a manic, and instantly runs inside. "Hayes?" She calls.

He jogs down the stairs. "She won't move."

Meredith takes the stairs two at a time, all the way up to the attic bedrooms. She begins to knock gently on Zola's, Hayes stood behind her. "Zozo? Sweetie?" Mer holds her breath waiting for a response. She pushes her ear against the door as she tries unsuccessfully to open it. Sure, Zola is 18 now, but this is unlike her. The kids know not to lock their doors. "Zola Hayes-Grey, get the door open now."

"No." Zola sniffles.

"Yes. What's going on?" She demands. "I'm worried, cmon. Open up."

"You're worried? Guess you should be with everything wrong with out family. You never even wanted me anyway." She chokes on a sob.

Mer eyebrows shoot up. "Excuse you? I risked everything to have you."

"You didn't want me." Zola opens the door and glares at her mom. At 18, she's definitely the exactly same as Mer was at her age - full of anger and confusion.

Until Meredith, Zola has a mom, a family, who care. She takes a deep breath and looks at her daughter. "Derek?" She guesses.

"Maybe." Zola folds her arms. "So it's not a lie."

"It's not the truth either." Meredith says sternly. "Come with me." She orders.

"No-"

"We're going to see your sister. I need her help explaining pieces of this." Meredith sighs. "Please."

Zola narrows her eyes but grabs her phone and dodges past Mer and Hayes, heading downstairs. Hayes gives his wife a confused look. "Is everything..."

Mer shakes her head. "Nope. Derek told her stuff before I could." She forces a smile. "And twisted it in his own way like he does so well. I'm going to go see Enora and then I can explain it to you."