episode fifty one

"And he's sleeping through?" Hayes asks as he checks the monitors attached to Gray.

"Just about." Jax smiles. "He very much dislikes his sisters being loud so early, he likes to sleep in like his mom."

Enora rolls her eyes. "I don't have work and I now have 5 kids - sleep is precious."

Hayes pulls the little pads off and swaddled Gray again. "I think we can safely say he's doing phenomenal. And I'm happy for him to just have his heart checks now."

Enora smiles wide as she takes her 2 month old tot. "You hear that dude?" She coos. "You're free!" She smiles wide.

Jax shakes Hayes hand. "Can't lie and say I'm sad this is over. No more weekly visits."

Hayes rolls his eyes. "I'll see you tonight for dinner moron."

"Cormac will, not Hayes." Jax winks.

Enora shakes her head. "It is easier to play along and smile." She jokes.

Hayes shakes his head. "Right... is it too late to leave your mother? I didn't sign up for him." He teases.

Jax pretends to flick his non-existent hair. "You just can't handle beauty."

"Goodbye Jax." Hayes shakes his head and leaves.

Enora giggles and sets Gray down to redress him; she changes him like he's made of china because to her he always will be. Jax packs up the diaper bag and grabs the carseat once the tot is in. "Okay, preschool time, let's go." She smiles.

"I can't believe Lowie goes to pre-k in the fall." He shakes his head in disbelief.

"I know. Its almost 3 years since her 'gotcha day'. And Rosie is almost 3. You're almost closer to 40 than 30 and James is off to college, Knox is in his last year of high-school.... are we old?"

"No!" Jax tuts, offended. "I just turned 33, that's nowhere near 40!" He snaps, offended.

Enora giggles. "Oo I touched a nerve." She teases.

Jax rolls his eyes. "Shut up. Kiss the girls for me okay? I'll be back in time for dinner." He promises.

Enora takes the car seat and kisses his cheek. "Good luck. If James can get his GED then so can you." She teases.

Jax takes a deep breath and smiles gently. Can he though?

-

"How do you think it went?" Doctor Sung asks; he's a psychiatrist that Jax has been seeing since Gray was born

Jax shrugs small and rubs his stubbled jaw. "As good as it could have I guess." He sighs. "I was the oldest there..."

"You said that when you came in - age hasn't seemed to be a touchy subject before. Can we explore why it is?" He suggests.

Jax plays with the foam stress ball in his hand, focusing on it as he rolls it between his fingers and palm. "Nor made a joke about me almost being 40. I'm 33 and a half, that basically makes me 34. And 34 almost makes me 35 and by that point I'll be classed as 40 and middle aged. Middle aged... with fuck all to show for it." He shakes his head.