episode ninety six

"Okay, listen up." Enora announces. Isobel, Knox, James and Mary all focus on her. "We have 5 days until Thanksgiving. That's 5 days to buy, prepare and cook for 24 people. Everything must go smoothly. Mary, you're on deserts?"

"Yes ma'am... wouldn't guess you're married to a military man." She smirks cheekily.

Enora rolls her eyes. "Knox, you're on turkey. Well, turkeys plural."

"That I am. I'm thinking some beef, too. And maybe some gammon."

"As long as I don't have to cook it all. Okay, James is on booze?" She checks her list. With so many people, it really is like a military mission.

"Yes ma'am." He smirks as Mary giggles. "I got it all sorted... probably Christmas and new years too." He winks.

"Fantastic. Me and Isobel are on sides and veg. I will hang you out to dry if you mess up, am I clear?" She looks at them all, one by one, dead in the eyes, only satisfied when each has given a terrified nod. "Okay, move out."

They all head their own ways except Isobel. "Now what kind of sides do yall do for thanksgiving? Coz I'm thinking potatoes, peas and carrots, mac and cheese-"

"All sounds good, gimme a sec." She smiles as her phone buzzes. "Hello?"

"Is this Enora Morris speaking?"

With those 5 words, she knows. She knows something bad has happened. "This is she..." she drops the pen subconsciously, Isobel frowning as she watches. "May I ask who is speaking?"

"Ma'am, this is Command Sergeant Major Wallace Jones. I'm calling to inform you that your husband Sergeant Major Morris has been wounded in the line of duty. About a week ago, he was hurt during a raid-"

"I'm sorry, a week ago!?" Enora bursts as her heart races; so much so, her watch begins to beep at the rhythm with a health warning. "A week! And I'm just getting called now!?"

"Yes ma'am, he was still under cover at the time of the incident. He was immediately flown to a facility in Germany and will land on U.S. soil by noon today. Once he is admitted to a facility in Sacramento, you may come visit-"

"I'm coming now you asshole! My husband was shot and you waited a week to tell me!?" She yells; Isobels eyes bulge. "Once I've beat his ass for getting hurt, you are next on my list. I expect an email in my inbox within the next half hour with details of the hospital." She snaps and hangs up.

"Holy shit." Isobel states with raised brows.

"I gotta go." Enora realises, rushing to grab her keys and wallet. "Can you-"

"Kids and thanks giving are covered, go. Now, seriously." Isobel shoos as Enora hesitates. "Go. Be with him. Take all the time you need, just drive safe and call us with an update."

Enora quickly gives her a tight hug before she's off; it's almost 9am now, Sacramento is what, like a 10 hour drive? 11? She can be there by 8 or 9 tonight. She jumps in the jeep and throws her wallet aside, driving one handed as she sets her navigation up. Once a safe driver, now a lead footed woman, she races her way through Seattle onto the highway and beyond.

Breaking every health rule she set herself before her transplant, she works her way through several crappy coffees and many stale bagels as she makes the long drive. And as predicted, its almost 9pm when she finally arrives at the military base. According to the email, a pass should be waiting on the gate.

"Mrs Enora Morris." She says urgently through the window.

"Corey's wife? Damn you made it fast. Mind if I hop in? I can direct you there." The solider says. His uniform says 'F. ALVEZ' on the pocket.