episode ninety five

Almost 13 days without speaking to Corey. Enora has just about lost her mind. On day 7 she got a 4 word email from him, "gone dark, speak soon" and then nothing again. This, this can't be normal. Her guts telling her it isn't but Hunt and Altman both reassured her that it can be normal. If he's deep under cover, on a secret mission, laying low - silence is key. If you hear from him, it could mean something went wrong.

And then there's the kids.

'Where's dad? Why can't we speak to him? What's he doing? Why are you sad?'

Enora snaps from her thoughts as she feels a weight on her chest. She instinctively wraps her arms around Albert and pushes her nose gently against his head, humming as she inhales his baby scent. "If you could only bottle this smell." She mutters.

"You'd make millions." Mary agrees as she sits back in the armchair. "Still nothing?"

Nor sighs and adjusts Albert so he's cradled against her more. "Nope. Grey will ask the second he comes back from school. Lowie and Rosie are attuned to the fact I'm emotional and I think they think the worst. I've told them everything is fine but they don't believe me."

"Is there no one you can contact?" Mary frowns.

"I was told I'm over reacting and need to stay in my lane."

Mary gasps. "Noooo!"

"Yes." Enora nods. "Unfortunately, very true."

"Assholes!" She tuts and shakes her head. "I'm sure we're all being dramatic. He'll walk through that door before we know it and laugh at us."

"I'm sure." Nor forces a smile. "Will you take the banana bread out for me please?"

"Only if I can have the first slice." Mary rushes to the kitchen.

"Your mom is a sucker for my 'nana bread." She coos to Albert and strokes his cheek gently. She admires the little slope of his button nose, the puffy cheeks, the world's softest hair peaking from under the little hat he wears.

Mary leans in the doorway and rests her head on it, just watching with a small frown. After everything, EVERYTHING, that woman has been through, surely she deserves something good in life. She grabs James by the arm and stops him entering the living room and interrupting her. "Give her space."

He frowns. "Oh...kay..." He slowly says, pulling her into the kitchen with him. "Is she spiralling?" He raises a brow as he leans on the counter, arms tense.

"No.... yes. No, not that way." Mary says slowly between deliberations. "She's worried. And missing her husband. They fought just before he went dark so it's even harder."

James frowns. "Ass... both of them. But I get it, things are tense. I have a plan though, are you in?"

"Obviously. But I swear to god, James Andrews, if its anything active or cool I will end you. I got 4 more weeks before I'm cleared for anything." She points sternly.

He smirks. "No theme park then... or waterpark..." He ducks as she throws an empty baby bottle at him, wickedly laughing as he heads off. "Knoxie boy!" He calls as he bursts into his room.

Knox looks over from his desk, a half dozen books around him. "Dude. 1 till 4 is study time, you know this." He tuts.

James sits on the bed and flops back. "We need to cheer mom up and I'm thinking something violent. With hitting."

Knox sets his pen down and turns in his chair to face his brother. "Oh hey, I wouldn't lay ther-"

"Ew you nasty!" James jumps up and shakes his body cringing. "Are you in or not!"