episode seventy two

"A ball?" Amelia asks with a raised eyebrow

Enora smiles. "Yeah, apparently it's an annual thing at the base. They usually do it at Christmas but it's a new year thing this year." She shrugs, checking Julian's notes. "How's he responding to the chemo?"

"Not good. Radiation has been the best thing so far but the chemo isn't helping. Kai has been a wreck..." she puffs air from her cheeks.

"I bet they have been..." she smiles sadly. "We know how we'd be."

Amelia smiles small. "He's a good kid, that's the hardest part. And he's easily one of Kai's biggest supporters."

"I'm offended." She jokes. "In all seriousness, though, I think we have to just operate. Get it gone. It's shrunk as much as we can hope for a tumour like this, for his second diagnosis. We have to strike before it switches and begins to grow."

Amelia seems hesitant but nods small. "I think you're right. I'm just glad they've had this Christmas together... how was your day?"

Enora takes a slow, deep breath as she finds the words. "Painful." She nods small. "Really hard. I woke them up so early to get as much time with them as I could before they went to Jax."

"The first ones the hardest." Amelia nods. "But you did it. And you don't have to do it again for another year."

"I know." She smiles. "I had Corey. And several bottles of Rum. We sat and lit the fire pit and had as many Rum and cokes as humanly possible."

"Just be c-"

"Careful, yes yes Auntie." She rolls her eyes.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't." Amelia calls.

"Got it." She calls back as she walks away, unable to stop grinning. It feels nice to be okay. To feel loved up.

Corey went back to Aus for another month shortly after his visit but he's been home since. They're totally still in the 'honeymoon' period of their new-found relationship but it's going amazingly. 2 months in and they still like each other. He hasn't grown tired of her routine or quirks, she hasn't grown tired of his. Maybe the fact he leaves his dirty socks everywhere when he stays, but that's how he 'marks his new territory' as he jokes.

She smiles a little at the thought and bites her lip. In 2 days they'll be going to his base ball. They'll dress up, socialise, she'll be introduced as his girlfriend - she's still giggly about that word, even after these many weeks.

Her thoughts are broken as she sees Knox, her heart leaping. "You're here!" She tears, running over.

He catches her in a hug and holds her close. "Merry Christmas. Sorry its late." He mumbles into her shoulder.

Enora feels the tears burn; she hasn't seen him in 3 months. There's only 22 months left to see him grow and give him as much advice as she can. She sniffles a little and grabs his face. "I told you to focus on your work, don't worry about me!"