🎼 Ghosts of the past

December 10th, 2016.

Danielle watched as George packed one of his suitcases. After long persuasions, he agreed to go with her - but she did not tell him that they would meet Anselmo's mother at some point.

George was arranging his checkered shirt when Danielle walked over to him and put her hand on his back.

— Pack the rest of your things?

— No, thank you — he replied and smiled at her. — You've already packed two bags for me, I can pack this one myself.

—So be it — she snuggled against his back as he straightened. — Dani, maybe later.

The young woman felt slightly disappointed, but nodded. She left their bedroom and walked down the hall.

George had a mental breakdown for days to agree to leave. Finally, he expressed his approval with the proviso that they were taking Melanie and the two bodyguards.

Danielle was pleased all the more that Dante offered his willingness to travel. George was less inclined towards Brother Danielle's presence, but he didn't object. George had nothing to do with Dante, but he felt Dante's attitude towards him had gotten cold since Danielle had been with George.

Danielle walked into the library where Dante and Hallie were drawing together on the carpet. Melanie was sitting in the armchair and looking at the young man and the little girl. The three of them looked up when Danielle saw Danielle, and Hallie looked up at the drawing and asked:

— Is it a nice drawing, Mommy?

— Lovely, sweetheart — Danielle sat down on the rug, and Dante asked:

— Ready to travel?

—Yes.— Danielle stroked her daughter's hair. —We're ready.

—I'll see Grandma and Grandpa — Hallie began to sing. — Will Daddy stop being an angel and be with us?

Danielle felt as if she had been hit in the stomach. She exchanged a glance with Dante who said:

—Hallie, why don't we go to Roxie and Abby?

Hallie shrugged, but allowed herself to be held without protest, and as the door closed behind her and Dante, Melanie asked:

— Dani, are you okay?

—Yes — she said, and sat down cross-legged.

—I saw you stiffen when Hallie brought up the subject of your ... — Mel paused.

— My late husband, take it easy, I can talk about it. I explained to her as much as I could about what death was. She still believes her dad will come back to us.

Melanie got up and hugged her against her huge body. Danielle returned the hug.

—She will understand it better someday — Mel whispered. —Although it is something terrible for a child, still so small.

— Hallie loves her other grandmother, Emiliano's mom. Vivienne is fine and Hallie is her only granddaughter. Anyway, Mel. Were you in Brazil when George and ... he, Anselmo, were together?

—Yes — Melanie nodded. —It's a beautiful country, a fact. People are nice and so happy. Anselmo was like that ...  — She broke off. — I stayed overnight at his cousin's house who smuggled George and me out. Those were crazy but fun years.

Danielle nodded when George suddenly appeared, announcing that they were departing in an hour. The women nodded.

Danielle was excited as well as unsure of all of this. Will George be okay with being there? Will this trip have a positive effect on their relationship?