Chapter Two: Trippy

Suddenly, Max Caulfield found herself woken up by a the strange occurrence where she found herself completely shocked that she was exactly where she was fifteen minutes earlier. She looked so lost and confused as her eyes darted across the room at everything and then the clock. It read that it was ten to four. Max pondered about how such a thing could've been possible and reviewed her recent actions that lead to her reversing time. 

"... can frame us in our glory and sorrow; from light to shadow; from colour to chiaroscuro. Now, can you give me an example of a photographer who perfectly captured the human condition in black and white? Anybody?" The teacher addressed his students. 

Suddenly, as soon as Max predicted something that was about to happen, she was startled. Her camera flew off the desk, breaking as soon as it hit the tiles. While nobody really bothered to pay attention to what happened, Max revised over what she did that commenced time reversing before she did it again. And so, the camera was back on her desk without a scratch on it. She zoned out every now and then while Mr Jefferson lectured his students. 

"I'll know this is for real if (Y/n) comes through that door." Max thought to herself. 

"Diane Arbus." Victoria answered confidently. 

"There you go, Victoria! Why Arbus?" Mr Jefferson appraised. 

"Because of her images of hopeless faces. You feel like, totally haunted by the eyes of those sad mothers and children." 

"She saw humanity as tortured, right? And frankly, it's bullshit. Seriously though, I could frame any one of you in a dark corner, and capture you in a moment of desperation. 

To Max's successful prediction, (Y/n) entered the room when Mr Jefferson gestured for him to enter where he gave a nervous smile towards everyone. But that didn't stop her teacher from calling her out for her zoning out as he asked Max a question she didn't quite grasp the answer to straight away. As (Y/n) was settling in, Max found herself making a fool of herself a second time. However, this time it would be different. 

Upon the third sharp inhale, Mr Jefferson asked a question Max was confident with her answer to. "Now Max, since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" 

"The Daguerreian Process. Invented by a French painter named... Louis Daguerre, around eighteen-thirty." Max answered with a raspy voice. 

Victoria scoffed in disbelief that Max managed to answer perfectly. She rotated her body so that she was more easily staring at the brunette without having to strain her neck as much while Max ignored her glare. There were times when Victoria loathed the silent picturesque girl. This was not one of those times that Victoria really wanted to bug Max simply for doing better than her. 

While (Y/n) settled into his spot, he noticed Max out of the corner of his eye reaching across her desk to hand him Mr Jefferson had his back to them. He hesitantly took it and examined what he was handed when he realised it was a friendly note for the dirty-haired blonde. He slid it over to Kate which caught her completely off guard to find that he was being nice straight off the bat. Kate looked at him sceptically yet accepted the note and smiled at it. 

"Somebody has been reading as well as posing. Nice work, Max. The Daguerreian Process made portraiture hugely popular, mainly because it gave the subjects clear defined features. You can learn more when you actually finish reading the assigned chapters. Max is so far, way ahead of everybody." 

Then, the school bell rang. 

"And guys, don't forget the deadline to submit a photo in the Everyday Heroes contest. I'll fly out with the winner to San Francisco where you'll be feted by the art world. (Y/n), come see me so I can fill you in on all the work you'll be needing to fill out. It's great exposure and it can kickstart a career in photography. So Stella and Alyssa, get it together. Taylor, don't hide. I'm still waiting for your entry too. And yes Max, I see you pretending not to see me."