Chapter Seven: Matthew 11:28

Monday

Word quickly spread across Blackwell Academy of (Y/n)'s affair. Thanks to Victoria Chase, (Y/n) was outcasted and ashamed by all who caught wind of his ostensible unfaithfulness. For the rest of that Sunday, Kate had been holed up in her room, bawling her eyes out over the scene that replayed in her head as if it were taunting her, manipulating her to relieve herself of her pain in a way she thought of many times on multiple occasions. 

Nobody was allowed to see or visit Kate for the majority of the day except during her classes which was where she spent as little time focusing on her classes as she could. People were quick to point out her depression to not only their friends but also her, but not through harassment despite what Kate expected. Instead, their focus on bullying turned to (Y/n), surprisingly enough, who disagreed strongly against their accusations of unfaithfulness.

Dark clouds loomed over Arcadia Bay where the morbid appearance would surely bring rainfall later that day. Max Caulfield had been spending time with a dear friend of hers, in which her lack of awareness of Kate's predicament remained oblivious. Since Max didn't have a photography class until later that day, she spend what remained of fourth period with one of her most faithful and dedicated friends, Warren.

She didn't spend much time with him, but when Warren slipped in not-so-subtly the controversy spread throughout Blackwell Academy, it deeply concerned her. Not even five full minutes in Warren's science class and Max made her way to her photography class where she noticed everyone's presence - everyone but (Y/n) and poor, dear Kate Marsh. Out of the corner of her eye, Max happened to catch Kate being watched by David the security guard.

Max was very sceptical of his behaviour yet she was adamant on finding evidence against Nathan for his direct involvement in drugging Kate. David, however, she wanted gone. It began to pour outside but the rain wasn't fierce but just more than light. When Max tore her eyes away from Kate and David, the school bell rang and those who were in Mr Jefferson's class were asked to be seated while those who weren't were commanded to leave.

"Okay, I know you love me, but if you're not in this class, beat it. Everybody else, please sit down. We have a lot to cover today and so little time as usual. I see all the usual suspects here... anybody seen Kate Marsh? What about (Y/n) Donohue?" Mr Jefferson sang his voice out to his students. 

Taylor Christensen raised her hand up and responded to Mr Jefferson. "I heard (Y/n) was snogging with Victoria yesterday outside her dorm. Kate Marsh saw everything so now she's probably running off crying." 

"That doesn't answer my question, Taylor. I asked, 'where is Kate Marsh and where is (Y/n) Donohue?' Answer the question you are asked. I don't want to know what happened, I want to know what's happening right now." 

"I think everybody's seen Kate Marsh by now," said Victoria who was busy pampering her lips. 

"She's not feeling good." Taylor added. 

"Sounds like you're giggling about a video gone viral. Maybe it involves a student, or a friend. I wonder how it would feel to have false images of yourself shot out all over the world for people to judge. Usually, people need something to judge so they never take a good look at themselves. We can thank reality TV for some of that. In the end, we can only blame ourselves for participating. Speaking of participation, there are a few souls her who have yet to enter a photo the contest. Like Max Caulfield, for example. Who I know can't wait to enter, right?" 

Max tensed when she heard her name get called out by her teacher. Nobody bothered to look at her as it was always the same thing Mr Jefferson brought up almost every single lesson. 

"I'm sure you read the syllabus like it was a Harry Potter book, so you must know today we're studying chiaroscuro - that beautiful word about the contrast between light and dark; the shadowplay that gives photography such... visual power. It's basic yin and yang. Black and white images are effective precisely because of their contrast. Although we don't technically see in monochr--"