Chapter Fourteen: Friends And Foes

Panic filled (Y/n) knowing that he had some very private and personal content in his notebook. (Y/n) ran as fast as his legs could take him back to his dorm. He was careful when he ran but upon reaching the floor to his room, he slowed down and gathered his breath when he hit a corner too sharply and ended up bumping into someone.

He and somebody else grunted when they fell to the ground, the sandwich and a book hit the floor. The sandwich container broke open, spilling the PB&J on the dirty carpet floor while the book remained undamaged. (Y/n) immediately slapped his palm on his forehead and groaned when he looked up at the person he walked into.

"Are you okay?" (Y/n) asked breathlessly.

(Y/n) scrambled up to his feet and he extended his hand out to the dirty-haired blonde girl he accidentally walked into. Kate looked up at him and took his hand after a moment of hesitation as she realised it was (Y/n) whose company she was in.

"I'm alright. Are you?" Kate groaned softly.

"I'm fine. I'm so sorry, Kate. I should've been paying more attention to where I was going. I-I'm so sorry. How's your head? Oh dammit. Your sandwich is ruined. So much for the five second rule." (Y/n) spoke concerningly.

"You got this... for me? How did you know I liked PB&J?"

"Oh, umm... M-M-Max Caulfield told me. She asked me to give this to you since you didn't show up in the cafeteria this morning. Again, I'm really sorry about your sandwich, Kate. I promise I'll make it up to you later."

"Thank you, (Y/n). I... I really appreciate what you did for me. It's the thought that counts."

Kate smiled reassuringly, keeping their hands physically touching until she eventually retracted hers. She watched as (Y/n) went to pick up the spoiled sandwich and put it back in the container when he noticed the book on the floor that was wide open when it hit the floor. His curiosity lead him to notice drawings and sketches as he went to pick it up but Kate had beaten him to it.

"You draw?"

"Y-You weren't supposed to see that."

"That looked really cool though." (Y/n) encouraged.

Kate blushed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"R-Really? You think so?" Kate stuttered. "I don't really show anybody my stuff."

"I understand where you're trying to come from. And don't worry Kate, I won't tell anybody."

Sceptically, Kate studied him in hopes of determining his true intentions with her.

"Why should I trust you?"

(Y/n) sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "I just want to help. I know we don't know each other very well, but... I'm here for you if you don't have anybody. My room's just down there. Room 231. In fact, I'm going there to grab something I'm missing. See you in class?"

Kate forced a smile and nodded her head. "Yeah, sure. English?"

(Y/n) parted ways with Kate and made his way towards his room without the awareness that the dirty-haired blonde was watching him make his way to his room from the corner where they physically ran into each other. When he vanished from sight, that was where Kate began to make her way to her next class. (Y/n) was stressed out of his mind that he couldn't find his book, so searching his room wasn't very extensive when he reached his conclusion.

At the sound of the school bell ringing, (Y/n) cursed aloud and abandoned his room to head back to the cafeteria in order to retrieve his backpack. Even with the attempt to be more aware of his surroundings, (Y/n) still managed to stumble into people when he slowed himself down into a jog and then a powerwalk once he was in the school halls. Just as he was coming towards the cafeteria, (Y/n) heard someone call his name amidst the horny teenagers.