Chapter Thirteen: A New Leaf

Kate was hesitant to accept the request but indulged nonetheless due to her curiosity getting the better of her. She proceeded to examine his media page to observe his background in order to get a better idea of who was interested in her. There were quite a number of interests that Kate liked when a notification sound stole her attention to a message she received from (Y/n). The tab flashed every second which drew Kate all the more. 

(Y/n)
Hi, Kate!
I understand we didn't have the best first greeting in class. You appeared as if you wanted to read all 2000 chapters of the Bible :P
I hope life has been treating you well lately
I'm quite new to Blackwell, so the only friends I got rn is Max - such a nice person
How are you?

Chatting with the new student in her class made Kate uneasy as she wasn't going to let herself be so vulnerable, especially after the last time. As she read over the messages a second time, Kate found her words and gave her response to his greeting.

Kate
Greetings, (Y/n)!
It's actually 1189 pages to be precise ;D
I just haven't been feeling well lately, so I apologise if I rubbed you the wrong way about me
I'm actually quite nice when you get to know me

(Y/n)
Oh, I do hope you are hanging in there - whatever it is you're going through, I'm praying for you
I'm not quite one on faith but I do believe in God
Do you go to church regularly?

Kate
Yes, actually!
But since I've been at Blackwell Academy this past month, I haven't been able to physically attend because of my studies
I understand it's your first day at Blackwell, but how are you finding it thus far?

(Y/n)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's certainly something
I gtg
Ttyl

Leaning back in her chair, Kate laid back and undid the hairband so her dirty-haired locks hung below her shoulders. She let out a long exhale and pulled her head back so she was facing her laptop screen. Kate pulled her head down and pushed her laptop back before plugging in her earphones with the purpose of listening to relaxing music so that she could simultaneously complete homework.

Now leaning forward, Kate rested one hand on her desk while the other held her book steady as she scribbled on the pages of her book. By continuing her homework, Kate was able to get it all done by dinner time. Even after what Victoria said to her, she was still hesitant to walk outside her door. Kate left her room to have a snack to fill up her stomach before she would return to her dorm and brush her teeth.

The moon was high in the sky when Kate completed the rest of her daily activities. After completing a few extra chores, Kate was ready for bed. Her sleep that night was a fairly settled as soon as her head hit the pillow. But while all good things lasted as they did, it wasn't long before Kate's nightmares settled in; the trauma she felt from public backlash to her video. In the dead of the night, Kate jumped awake and found herself coated in sweat.

The dirty-haired blonde panted as her bedsheets slipped down into her lap. Upon checking the time to find that it was past midnight, Kate took deep breaths to compose her breathing as she got up out of her bed and tip-toed to her door, peeking her head out of her room to check whether anybody might've been out and about at that time, even if the chances were like finding a chicken with teeth.

Regardless, she remained on guard when she headed for the girl's bathroom. Kate lurked through the hall like a spectre as she entered the girl's bathroom to have a drink of water from the tap. By running the tap and sticking her closed hands underneath the chilly water, Kate shivered at the touch of the cold liquid before she leaned over and took a sip from the tiny pool of water in the palms of her hand.