Chapter Ten: Danger, Danger

A few hours passed and the Vortex party had long commenced with almost everybody in the natatorium partying like there was no tomorrow. By then, very few people were concerned about (Y/n)'s wellbeing until those who did show a splinter of care were easily distracted by lovers or peers. The late attendance of Max Caulfield and her childhood best friend, Chloe Price had rocked up outside the natatorium where they stumbled upon a rare sight. 

In the sky, two moons were visible. In relation to the solar eclipse and irregular snowfall, it all but proved even more that something terrible was headed for Arcadia Bay. Max and Chloe crossed paths with Max's best friend, Warren. He approached them, tipsy and with an empty bottle of beer in his hand with the fine addition of a black eye from his fight with Nathan Prescott late last week. 

"You look really good, Warren. Are you alright after today?" Max spoke with a soothing voice. 

"I'm glad you stopped me. Nathan is dangerous." Warren said appreciatively. 

Chloe jumped in and questioned Warren on Nathan's whereabouts. If looks could kill, Chloe would kill Warren in the blink of an eye, but she wanted him to answer first for only what they could assume was his doing, for the involvement of the death of Chloe's late lover and missing poster girl, Rachel Amber. 

"Where is he?" Chloe asked impatiently. 

"I didn't see him at his dorm again. I was holed up in my room." 

"Dude, have you been drinking?" Max asked concerning when she realised that even with the one bottle in his hand, he spoke with a slur. 

"Well, if you consider half a beer drinking... but (Y/n), on the other hand, he's had a few." 

"(Y/n)? What's happened to (Y/n) now?" 

Warren frowned and shook his head as he struggled to remain still on both feet. 

"I dunno this time, Max. But I think it might have something to do with Nathan or Victoria - my bet is on the latter since (Y/n) and Nathan haven't really officially met." Warren explained. "Hey, can we get one picture? I know I've been a pain in the booty. Just one picture. I just want to feel like a normal student after this week's ultraviolence. I never hit anybody like that before. I was always the one getting my ass kicked." 

Max smiled reassuringly and took out her camera and let Warren take a self-portrait of them both. The two lingered behind while Chloe stormed off ahead to the entrance of the natatorium. 

"Hey, we still need your expert help. If you see Nathan, text me immediately, okay? And do not let him see you. Oh, and if you see (Y/n), tell him to call me. I might need his help for something - that is, if he still isn't passed out drunk by the sounds of it. Be safe, okay?" 

To add to her sweetness on Warren, she leaned in and gave him a peck on the cheek as a token of her appreciation for his dedication to her and their closeness. While he watched his crush walk off, Warren stumbled about and randomly scanned the scene for any trace of the long, brown-haired boy, (Y/n) Donohue. Finding a bench, Warren sat down and kept himself steady as his head rolled back and rested, despite what Max asked of him. 

Inside the natatorium, party lights strobed while music was blasted and incoherent chatter affected everyone's eyes and ears. Max and Chloe searched the natatorium for Nathan Prescott - with the assistance of Max's classmates and those who were rather and somewhat fond of the nerdy camera girl. To their disappointment, nobody seemed to locate Nathan Prescott much to Max's and Chloe's ailment. 

The room went silent at the request of Mr Jefferson, who had been tasked with announcing the winner of the 'Everyday Heroes' contest. The DJ turned down the music while the operator of the lights focused on the popular teacher, but not enough to render him blind, as he drew the attention of the party-goers when suddenly everybody applauded him.