Chapter Sixteen: O Captain, My Captain

"Alyssa Anderson."

The slightly chubby girl with violet-black hair lazily got up and gave a half-arsed performance which resulted in her immediate elimination. After nearly thirty minutes of watching his student's pre-rehearsal, Mr Keaton then called up the next student and the next when familiar names were called out.

"Juliet Watson."

Up from her seat, the brunette wearing a black leather jacket walked down to the front and turned to face the class. Nerves had already begun to work on her but with past experience in acting, she had a high chance of impressing her teacher. Easily enough, the teacher was impressed and was dismissed back to her seat.

"Kate Marsh." Mr Keaton sang out.

The dirty-haired blonde froze in her chair. Shocked that she'd been finally called down, (Y/n) gave a few quick words of encouragement before Kate slowly got up and walked down to the front of the classroom. Her thoughts played tricks against her the whole way through when she started her act. She was so red-faced that her nerves got the better of her until she was forced to return to her seat without her teacher's saying so.

While Mr Keaton assessed Kate's lack of initiation, he called out the next student to show their acting capabilities. Those who witnessed Kate fumble couldn't be bothered to mentally scold her futility as they all shared the same case so nobody found the effort to share a look her way or say anything for getting stage fright.

"Max Caulfield." Mr Keaton's voice droned.

Now that it had finally become Max's turn in getting up in front of the class, she made her way to the front of the class and turned to face the faces looking her way. Max hesitated to commence her act until she found courage to do so.

"O Captain, my Captain! Our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! Heart! Heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead."

The class listened intently as Max began to speak with more enthusiasm and courage.

"O Captain, my Captain! Rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up - for you the flag is flung - for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths - for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! Dear father!
This arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead."

Suddenly, (Y/n) jumped up from his desk and stood on his desk. Everyone in the room whipped their heads around at him where the long, brown-haired boy saluted and cried aloud.

"O Captain, my Captain!" (Y/n) shouted.

People were startled as the volume of his voice where silence filled the room. Mr Keating said nothing in reprisal of his student's abnormal behaviour but watched on in awe as another student and more followed after did the same as he.

"O Captain, my Captain!"

Max smiled brightly and continued her rehearsal.

"My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead."