Chapter Twenty: You And Me Against The World

In his absence, Kate awoke to find herself alone in (Y/n)'s bed, yet she was appreciative of his kindness that he tucked her in. Her eyes and landed on the familiar set of clothing and toothbrush rested on the end of the bed. Tiringly, Kate rubbed her eyes and sat up, shuffling back so that her back was now rested against the bedframe and the wall. Even after a decent sleep, Kate still felt exhausted a full minute later.

She grabbed her phone out from her pocket and scrolled through social media to see what she could occupy herself with. It then came to her curiosity and angst about the viral spread of her infamous video where Kate investigated the number of shares spread across social media by the people at Blackwell. 

The regularly amassed numbers who would keep the video still fresh and alive decreased exponentially. Then, Kate noticed a message notification pop up. She'd received two separate messages: one from Max, and one from (Y/n). She chose to read Max's message first as she was eager to see what one of her most faithful friends had said to her.

Max
Hi Kate!
I hope you're feeling okay after everything that's happened
How was your date with (Y/n)? You gotta tell me what happened :D
Just wanted to check up on you, see how you were going
Love Max C.

The delightful message certainly made Kate's day by reading the sincerity and care from her dear friend, Max. She made an immediate response, thanking her for her thoughtfulness in checking up on her wellbeing before moving on to read (Y/n)'s message keenly.

(Y/n)
Hey sweetheart!
I'm terribly sorry to disturb you because I know you needed your sleep
But I was just wondering if you wanted a jelly sandwich instead of PB&J?
They're all out I'm afraid so I just wanted to see if you were cool with jelly
I needed a break so I decided to get us something to eat

Words could not express her gratitude towards (Y/n). From spoiling her with a delightful breakfast to spending time at the beach, this certainly put the cherry on top. Her heart fluttered with abundance of joy and love as she gave one-worded response. Kate checked the time and saw that it was a quarter past six, proven by how low the sun was setting. Unfortunately, her mood was ruined when she received a phone call that she saw was from her mother. 

"Hello, mother," greeted Kate warmly. 

"Katherine. How are you this evening?" Her mother responded icily. 

"I'm good. Already dressed and ready for bed." 

"Listen, your father and I just wanted you to know that we love you, sweetheart. And I'm... I'm so sorry for how I've been treating you lately. It took me a while - and your father's strenuous dedication to get me and your aunty - to accept what happened: to realise that you... that you have always been my and your father's little girl." 

Her mother's sentimental call brought atonement for the lack of comfort she and the rest of Kate's family were supposed to provide when Kate was in her worst case of depression. 

"How are things over there?" Kate's mother asked. 

"Things are good," Kate answered confidently. 

"Have you found a boyfriend yet? Your father and I were just discussing the other night and we were hoping that you can come home for dinner next week." 

Kate's guard was down when her mother asked her such a question she wasn't at all prepared for, let alone considered to face anytime soon. 

"Oh, umm... u-umm, y-y-y-y-yes...?" 

"Really? What's his name then?" Her mother questioned sceptically. 

"D-uhh... uhmm... (Y-Y/n). (Y/n) Donohue."