Chapter Fifteen: Take A Chance On Me

The jock stormed out of the room. Kate rushed over to aid (Y/n) by grabbing ahold of his arm. He was surprised with her company but said nothing as she offered to treat him for his injury, much to his feeble protest. (Y/n) grabbed his back and was escorted by Kate out of the classroom. People noticed the two walking alongside each other back to the dorms but said nothing and made speculations at the sight. 

(Y/n) was surprised when Kate brought him into her room. Her soft and gentle voice commanded him to take a seat on his bed while she acquired a kit to treat him. As it turned out, (Y/n) received a cut on the eyebrow where he got punched but it wasn't large or weeping. As he sat idly, his eyes wandered around the room at everything. He noticed a lot, but what stood out to him most was the violin in its opened case and the white bunny rabbit in its cage. 

(Y/n) approached the rabbit and knelt down where he fed a sliced carrot into its cage. The rabbit hobbled over to the carrot and nibbled on it. (Y/n) then stood up and approached the violin and placed the chin rest comfortably between his chin and collarbone and held the bow in his dominant hand. (Y/n) hadn't played a violin before as he only knew how to play a guitar, so he began to pluck at them and used the bow for smoother strumming. 

Unbeknownst to him, he had an audience. Just outside Kate's room stood the dirty-haired blond herself who'd heard the violin playing from inside her room. Slowly, Kate walked to her door and peeked inside where she caught (Y/n) playing her violin. At first glance she wasn't at all upset that he was touching her stuff, but with how beautifully he played, it banished the thought entirely as such emotion he brought into the cover brought tears to her eyes. 

The tingling feeling on (Y/n)'s brow was numbed as he continued to play until the conclusion of the song, which was where Kate decided to show herself to (Y/n). He briefly ignored her presence as he placed the violin back in its case along with the bow before he turned to face her. (Y/n) noticed that Kate had in her hand a wet tissue and a butterfly band-aid in the other. 

"How are you feeling? Are you still sore?" Kate asked concerningly. 

(Y/n) smiled. "Yeah. I feel okay, I guess. I appreciate what you're doing for me, Kate." 

In return, she just gave him a reassuring smile as she asked him to sit down on her bed. Compliantly, he did as he was asked and allowed Kate to dab his eyebrow with the wet tissue that he didn't realise had antiseptic doused on it. So when it touched his open wound, it stung like hell. He winced but put on a brave face so to appear tough in front of her when really he was sulking over how sensitive he really was about it. 

"I'm sorry it hurts, but I don't want it to get infected, (Y/n)." Kate commented. 

"It's okay, Kate. You're very sweet for doing this," he said appreciatively. 

He noticed her face flush red when he said this, in addition to being so close to him that she was treating him for his injury. As soon as she was finished, Kate dumped the tissue and band-aid packet in the bin. 

"You play the violin?" Kate asked curiously, breaking the silence. 

"No, actually. I played a bit of the guitar when I was a kid." (Y/n) replied bashfully. 

"That was really good!" 

"Really? Aw, it wasn't that good." 

"No, really. You were amazing!"