Chapter Thirty: A New Chapter In Our Lives

One month later...

After a long, strenuous month going through exams, graduation was upon the senior students of Blackwell Academy. The painstaking hours of studying had finally paid off - or so they'd hoped. The senior students rejoiced that they'd completed their examinations, pushed through endless hours of homework and assignments to get to where they were at. Reality would dawn on them that they were going to miss one of the best parts of their lives - for some, at least.

On the day of graduation, the seniors wore matte black gowns with cap tassels on their heads. They all sat in the football field just across the road from the school where on a stage under the beating sun. While it wasn't too hot, being caught under the sun certainly made it unbearable and restless. On stage were all of the staff with Principal Wells standing at a podium while David Madsen stood watch off stage, lazily watching the audience of restless teenagers.

(Y/n) sat four rows from the front while his girlfriend sat two in front beside her best friend, Max Caulfield. He himself was not in alien company. Thankfully he had his best mate Esteban to keep him company as they listened to one of the worst torture methods known to man. A lecture from the principal; no better than the staff who would negotiate a truce between their students or accept sharing a jaggy relationship with them.

"... it has been a long, hard year for all of us. Murder, conspiracies, defamation... as a community, we at Blackwell strive on wisdom and knowledge. Therefore I wish to inform you all that with our young graduates today, I will be standing down from my role as principal of the Academy - I have sought different calling: to run for mayor of Arcadia Bay." Mr Wells lectured.

A murmur flooded the crowd of teenagers. Many were relieved while some were disappointed. Every now and again, (Y/n) would notice his girlfriend looking over her shoulder to check on him. He knew full well that she was uncomfortable not being by his side. Max was aware of this also and did her best to cheer up the dirty-blonde Christian girl.

"And now, I'd like to call upon our 2013 Blackwell Academy senior students to receive their official graduation certificates..."

One by one, each student walked up on stage to retrieve their certificate and exchange handshakes with the retiring principal. Most had nerves when they had to go up on stage, particularly Kate who felt the most terrified having to get up in front of every student, teacher and parent attending the ceremony. (Y/n) noticed something off about his girlfriend by the way she was seated in her allocated chair.

Her slim figure was awfully still and hypnotised as the surnames being called drew closer and closer to the start of her last name. When Mr Wells rolled around to calling up the eldest Marsh child, she froze; struck by fear and self-conscious thoughts about what people were thinking about her, most of which were over-scrutinise and paranoia.

Mr Wells didn't think he would have to repeat a student's name ever in his career as a school principal. His eyes scanned the crowd of faces looking at him when he set them on the girl he sought out. (Y/n) didn't bother to think about his actions as he elected himself to support his girlfriend by getting out of his seat and made his way around to where she sat and took ahold of her hands which seemed to snap Kate out of her daze.

The sandy-haired blonde gasped sharply when she felt a pair of hands touch her skin. His soft, gently touch made her skin become bumpy, followed by a very brief chill up her spine until she realised it was (Y/n) who sought to comfort her. A hand came up and cupped her cheek, drawing their eyes to stare deeply into each other's as (Y/n) whispered words of encouragement before he willingly accompanied her up on stage to retrieve her certificate.

"Thank you, (Y/n). Thank you so much." Kate said appreciatively once they were off stage and heading to her seat.

(Y/n) noticed that the spot beside Kate's seat was absent, where his own was occupied. (Y/n) quickly made eye contact with Esteban and sent a quick nod his way before he sat down with his girlfriend for the remainder of the graduation ceremony. Until the ceremony was over and the graduates were finally freed into the real world, (Y/n) clung onto his girlfriend's hand when they sought out the rest of her family amidst the horde of families and students alike.