Chapter Eighteen: Dress To Impress

(Y/n) cleared his throat and stole glances at his passenger, complimenting her as he drove. Not only did Kate apply new clothes to go out in, but she also let her hair loose and fixed the hair band around her right forearm below the green wristband. Kate adjusted her seat comfortably as (Y/n) drove them to the diner - it wasn't his first option but he certainly would've preferred to go to the beach, most likely if Kate approved to a second date. 

"You look very lovely this morning. I like what you did with your hair. Letting it loose makes you look even prettier." (Y/n) flirted shyly. 

Kate blushed and smiled gleefully. "Really? Thank you, (Y/n). That's so sweet of you. You look pretty good yourself. Nice jacket." 

"Thanks. It was my uncle's - a hand-me-down but I always liked this jacket. Still fits, thankfully." 

"What about that shirt? Firewalk?" 

"Oh, it's a punk rock band I'm into. Not majorly into it, but I'm partial to a bit of punk rock. Personally, I'm more into the classics - like the ones from the mid nineties and onward. You know, Sammy Davis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, Aretha Franklin... all those legendary singers who made the fifties and sixties what it was." 

"You have good taste." 

"Like I said. I vary. You go to Two Whales often?"

Kate shook her head when he looked her way. "I rarely go out unless it's with my family going to church. If... if you don't mind me asking, do you have a faith?"

(Y/n) was not surprised that Kate asked him such a thing. In fact, he expected her to ask him about his religious faith for a while that he was quite open to telling her about whom he believed in. It quite surprised Kate when he openly told her that he indeed believed in God also, rightly so that it pleased her to hear that they had something in common. Kate, however, was more sensitive on the subject due to her depression and suicidal thoughts. 

Kate had been lacking in her belief in God ever since she discovered the video about herself getting drugged and making out with several boys with Victoria Chase as the camerawoman to post the worst moment in Kate's life. The only difference now was that hearing that (Y/n) was religious himself as well as someone who truly did care about her made Kate's life just that little bit more enjoyable; a good distraction from her harsh reality. 

Suddenly, (Y/n) pulled over to the side of the road and drew his phone out from his pocket. He then rolled down his window and opened up the camera on said phone and took a few shots of the bay, much to Kate's surprise. When he was done taking a few photos, he turned around and looked at Kate whom he caught staring at him with curiosity laced in her eyes. So he handed her his phone to look at the photos while he drove. 

Entrusting her with his phone was a bold move but (Y/n) knew she wouldn't say anything harmful about the photos which consisted of mainly family and professional shots of sunsets, streets, nature and people. To say Kate was impressed was quite the understatement. The photos were so mesmerising, she spent a full two minutes staring at each one, admiring the features and the sharpness of the photo as well as everything that went with it. 

"These are good photos, (Y/n) - you really managed to capture something special about this." Kate praised. "I think you really have a gift for photography." 

(Y/n) glanced at the dirty-haired blonde and smiled appreciatively. "Hey, thanks. You know, I actually got into photography because of my father when I was about seven or eight." 

"What do your parents do?" 

"Acting. They're... pretty big in that industry. Thing is, I haven't seen them in eight months. They've been away to places all across the globe and going to premiers and doing interviews. I went independent at ten so I know how to handle a lot of things, especially since my uncle wanted me to learn how to take care of myself whenever my parents are away. So if I ever get to meet your parents, it'll sort of seal the deal I'm worthy to date their amazing daughter."