Chapter Thirty-One: A Whole New World

(Y/n) and Kate assembled outside where her family were. John was working the barbecue while his wife and daughters ate their hotdogs with Kate's rabbit, Alice, minding her own business around the backyard. The young couple sat down at a bench with the rest of Kate's family before John finally accompanied them for an afternoon snack. Before they all proceeded to eat, they all prayed with Tilly leading them in prayer.

"Dear Lord, thank you for this bountiful feast. May this food You provide nourish us as we are united together. Thank you for bringing us (Y/n), for he has given us happiness and my sister her soulmate. Amen."

As soon as the prayer ended, (Y/n) took a bite of his hotdog when not a full minute later, he felt a hand tap his shoulder. There, he noticed Kate staring at him. 

"Is there something on my face?" Kate asked innocently. 

There was something on her face, but (Y/n) didn't have the heart to be cheeky, so he took a napkin and gently brushed it over the tomato sauce on her cheek. He then noticed that the tomato sauce wasn't the only red thing on her face. Apparently, she was so bashful that her face became red as a tomato, until he realised how intimately close he was to her face, making it look as if he was about to kiss her. 

The sound of one clearing their throat interrupted their precious moment, causing the two lovers to shy away and resume eating their meals. Kate nibbled on her hotdog when she boldly gave him a kiss on his cheek which hit the corner of his mouth before she rested her head on his shoulder as they all finished eating. As much as he wanted to stay where he was, (Y/n) got himself seconds, barely to anybody's surprise.

"Are you hungry, baby?" Kate asked softly.

(Y/n) nodded and hummed after taking a bite of his second hotdog.

"So, (Y/n)... I heard you like cameras." John blurted out at random.

The women and (Y/n) looked at him with surprised looks on their faces expressed curiosity as to what he was rambling on about.

"Um, yes, I do, actually." (Y/n) responded lazily.

"My father loved cameras. He gave me this special camera he would always take with him. You can have it, if you want."

"Really?"

"I insist." John said as he got up and headed inside to retrieve the camera he was talking about.

When he returned, he handed (Y/n) the vintage camera. To (Y/n)'s delight, he accepted the gift and observed it closely without the awareness of how much Kate was staring at him and enjoying himself. Shortly thereafter, the family and (Y/n) included head back inside. Kate escorted (Y/n) to her room while he was fiddling with his new camera where Kate sat on her bed and saw just how engrossed he was in the camera.

She continued to stare at him adoringly when she decided to take advantage of the scene and took ahold of her sketchbook and began to trace what she saw to paper very delicately. Halfway through sketching his portrait, Kate had to let her hair down before resuming her drawing. Clouded in his own thoughts, (Y/n) snapped back to reality to see that his beloved girlfriend was occupied with her sketchbook. 

When Kate needed to steal another quick glance another boyfriend, she had to glance a second time when she realised he was watching her draw. Shyly, Kate shot a quick smile his way when (Y/n) sat down with her on her bed. She felt the bed dip beneath her and (Y/n)'s warm breath tickle her neck. She shuddered as he observed her drawing and expressed his thoughts with high praise.

"Y-You really like it?" Kate timidly asked.

(Y/n) scoffed with a smile tugging on the corner of his mouth. "Of course I do, baby. You're incredible! Everything about you is incredible."