Chapter Twenty-Seven: Romeo, Romeo, Wherefore Art Thou Romeo?

Wednesday 

For that entire day, (Y/n) had been having a hard time trying to get over the fact that he was now the latest laughing stock for the school to poke fun at and ridicule for being exposed for indecent public nudity - not that he had a choice anyway. At the cost of his perfect school record, (Y/n) skipped his classes until that evening where he had to take part in the play. But his nerves were starting to get the better of him.

Early in the evening, everyone who was to participate in the play were present an hour before it was to commence, were catching up on their lines as well as being dressed up. It was typically expected or the cast to fumble with their lines due to the stress and forethought of stage fright, while their drama teacher was anxiously encouraging the students to do their best and not embarrass him.

Inside Max's room, she stared at her reflection. Her blue eyes stared blankly into the eyes of her reflection, the pained absence of her best friend slash lover left a hole inside of her. Every scenario in which she saw her die haunted Max in addition to that of seeing Kate die before she stained herself in order to save her life. A knocking sound snapped Max out of her thoughts, drawing her attention to the person visiting her before the play.

"Hi Max," sang Warren. "You feeling okay? You look worried."

"Oh, hey Warren. I'm, I'm doing good. Just nervous about the play. I just don't like to get in front of a crowd." Max responded with a nervous chuckle. 

Warren approached her whilst maintaining a comforting smile on his face. 

"Hey. I get it. You'll be alright. I know ow you've got this. Just pretend the crowd doesn't exist and we're at the lighthouse practicing," he spoke softly. 

"How's (Y/n) and Dana?" 

"They're doing good. Dana's going over those tongue-twisters of hers and (Y/n) is, well... just being himself." 

"Do you know who did that stuff to (Y/n) yesterday?" 

"My best guess? Frank Lowe. But... maybe it was Jamie and them from the dodgeball game. Probably want payback for losing the big game." 

Suddenly, a voice shouted across to all of the rooms, notifying the cast of the play about to kick off now that the hour had finally come up and all of the expected guests had arrived and taken their seats. Warren gave one last kind regard to the brunette whom he harboured a crush on before he dashed out of her room. Mr Keaton addressed the audience by introducing the name of the play as well as the cast and their respective characters that they would be playing. 

The main characters assembled onto the stage while some hid out of sight. Max, Warren, Dana, Kate and (Y/n) - all of whom donned masks to conceal their identities - appeared under the spotlight once Mr Keaton had introduced the cast and their characters. Extras had been brought on scene to fit what was supposed to be a party by including half a dozen actors to fill the stage, with an additional four cast as minstrels. 

"What lady is that, which doth enrich the hand of yonder knight?" (Y/n), as Romeo, asked one of the side-characters closest to him as he stared across to the dirty-blonde girl pretending to be oblivious to his staring at her. 

"I know not, sir," replied the actor playing a servant. 

"O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright! It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night; as a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear - beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear. So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows. As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows. Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight, for I ne'er saw true beauty till this night." (Y/n) whispered to himself in adoration of the apple of his eye.