Chapter Eight: Been Through Hell

After the crowds dispersed, (Y/n) and Max were summoned to the principal's office. By then, the clouds still loomed and thunder still rolled as they held a meeting in the office to discuss (Y/n) and Max's bravery in talking Kate off the roof. In addition to their company, Mr Jefferson and security guy, David were present in the room. Mr Wells had his back to everybody whilst he stared out the window, turning around once he found his thoughts to put into words.

"Now, I know today was difficult for everybody, but I'm so proud of the way Blackwell pulled together to save a young girl's life. Of course, you're quite the heroes for getting Kate to come down, Max and (Y/n)." Principal Well addressed the two youngsters in the room.

"I didn't do much." Max responded.

"She's modest. Like a hero." Mr Jefferson commented.

"Yeah. Real hero," said David begrudgingly.

"As principal of Blackwell Academy, I take my duties seriously," said Mr Wells. "I take the wellbeing of every student more seriously..."

"Yeah, bullshit." (Y/n) thought to himself.

"What happened today should never happen in a hall of wisdom and knowledge. Mr Madsen, as our head of security here, those roof doors should always be locked - that's just standard operating procedure. They were not. And that is indeed your responsibility."

The security guard standing on the right side of the room let go of his hands which were behind his back when he tensed for being called out by his superior. He then turned to Kate's, Max's and (Y/n)'s teacher, adding to the guilt everybody held for Kate's dilemma. The door to the room opened, where Nathan Prescott approached and stood behind and between Max and (Y/n) with his arms folded so to appear independent and superior.

"Mr Jefferson, I know you can't be expected to know what your students are going through, but Kate has assisted you in class, so you should have known something was amiss. Mr Prescott, since you are responsible for the Vortex Club parties, and since Miss Marsh did attend your last party, you'll have to answer some more questions. Miss Caulfield, Mr Donohue, why exactly were you on the roof with Kate Marsh?"

The two youngsters seated in the chairs opposite him glanced at one another as they were unsure of who was to answer first. (Y/n) gestured for her to go first. So she did, by having yet another go at Nathan for being single-handedly responsible for the party's authorisation to be carried out last month. 

After a short but thorough argument between Max and Nathan, Principal Wells intervened and requested (Y/n) and Max sign a paper to confirm what had been said. Max produced a pen from her satchel and signed her name. She gave it to him to sign also before she took it back and they were dismissed.

Mr Wells called for (Y/n)'s attention before he left. "Mr Donohue, I understand your relationship with Miss Marsh has been... messy. But I am willing to allow you two personal time to ensure a speedy recovery for Kate Marsh."

(Y/n) nodded at him and took his leave from the room. Without Kate, he felt loneliness. He felt lost without her. Drearily, (Y/n) wandered out of the principal's office with his feet dragging along the ground. He made his way towards his dormitory but side-tracked to Kate's along the way. Nobody was present to witness (Y/n) entering Kate Marsh's room, so even if anybody did, (Y/n) wouldn't give a damn anyway.

The morbid atmosphere in Kate's room barely phased (Y/n) when he stepped into the room. His eyes droned across the room until it landed on the caged white rabbit. (Y/n) smiled weakly at Alice who rested in her cage when he collected her cage and extracted her from her room, delivering her into his for safe keeping. When Esteban noticed this, he said nothing when (Y/n) disappeared again to collect more of Kate's belongings and transported them into his room.