Chapter Four: Date With Kate

At the end of a stressful day at Blackwell Academy, the day of hard work brought relief to all. Particularly Kate, knowing that she wouldn't have to endure harassment from the rest of the school. Kate met (Y/n) in the parking lot shortly after the school bell rang for the last time that afternoon. The dirty-haired blonde walked out of the front doors of the school and headed over to the parking lot where she spotted (Y/n) leaning against a car she assumed was his. 

Brightly, (Y/n) smiled at the dirty-haired blonde and greeted her with much sincere kindness. "Hi, Kate! You ready to head out?" 

"I'm ready, (Y/n)." Kate answered keenly. 

She didn't carry any droopiness or exhaustion when she spoke, so she didn't notice a worried expression form on (Y/n)'s face. He wandered around to the passenger door with Kate behind him and he opened it for her so she could get in. Once (Y/n) was in the driver's seat, he took off and drove with care as he and Kate conversed the whole way to Two Whales Diner - a particularly favourite diner made famous for its hamburgers. 

There was little traffic on the road so the drive was relatively smooth. Fortunately, (Y/n) managed to steal a parking spot in the diner parking lot just as a truck driver drove out of a spot. (Y/n) continued to impress Kate with his politeness as they made their way into the diner. Inside, there wasn't much of a crowd but it still occupied a few regulars who'd stopped by after a long day. The two occupied a booth down the right from the door, three booths down.

"Seems pretty busy. Come here often?" (Y/n) began, his voice sounded nervous for going on a date with Kate.

"Sometimes - but only for family events or celebrations. How do you like Arcadia Bay so far, (Y/n)?" Kate replied with a honeyed tone.

(Y/n) smiled and nodded confidently. "Well, classes are going well. And besides all the bullshit going on, pardon my French, it's a pretty decent town you got here."

"I'm glad you like it."

A waitress approached them, interrupting the conversation so that she could take their orders.

"Well, hello there, Kate. How are you, little miss? Just the usual?" The waitress greeted the dirty-haired blonde warmly with a strong Southern accent.

"Oh hello, Mrs Price. Yeah, I'll take the usual. Um. Th-This is (Y/n). He's a boy in my classes." Kate answered as if she'd been startled.

"Oh, how lovely! Ain't'chu a handsome young feller. This some sort date, is it?"

"W-Well, yes." 

"In that case, I'll treat you both somethin' good. Just the usual... and what about you, sweet cheeks? What will you be havin'?"

The waitress drew the pencil tucked between her temple and her ear and began to scribble stuff on her notepad before she looked back up at (Y/n) and asked about his order.

"I hear the hamburgers are good. Oh, and just water, please." (Y/n) said positively. 

Mrs Price quick wrote his order before she made off to complete their food request. The two teenagers looked back at each other and shared a laugh. They resumed their conversation while the waitress was busy fulfilling their orders and that if her guests.

"So, (Y/n). Tell me about yourself." Kate requested as she smiled openly at him. It had been a long time since Kate carried a smile without any trace of sadness. It made her feel whole again.

(Y/n) sighed and leaned back in his seat, knowing there was much to say yet he wasn't quite sure how far back he should go in order to tell Kate more about him.

"Well... I come from Chicago. I'm an only child, born to religious parents; both of whom are celebrity actors, so they're away most of the time filming movies and going to premiers. My passion is photography - my father introduced it to me at a young age since that was his hobby before he turned to acting like my mother has. I came to Oregon because it was the only place that would actually accept my enrolment. I got pretty lucky since if I didn't get one here, I'd have to move all the way to England just to get my certificate in photography. I take photos myself, but not often." 

"Oh, that's nice. Do you have any that you like most?" Kate asked, intrigued.

"A few decent shots, actually. I keep them all in my room - which reminds me, I really must decorate my side of the room." 

Kate giggled at his humour and rested her head in the palm of her hand. 

"Why are you so nice to me - out of all people who's getting bulled and harassed on the daily?" Kate asked curiously with a bit of scepticism.

(Y/n) shrugged his shoulders at her. "I don't know. I just... when I look at you, I think about how somebody I once knew who was going through the exact same thing."

"What happened to them?"

"They died. Jumped right on front of a moving car and bam. Dead once they hit the pavement."

"I'm sorry for your loss, (Y/n). I didn't mean to upset you." 

"No, you're fine. I'll be okay." (Y/n) lied as he sniffled and faked a smile. "A-Anyway, wanna tell me more about yourself?"

"Umm... I-I'm not really worth getting interested over."

"Oh, nonsense. We're on a date. It's our obligation to know each other better. Especially of we're interested in the other. I promise I will not judge you, Kate."

The dirty-haired blonde pursed her lips and nodded her head. Her arms now rested on the table when the waitress returned with their meals. Whilst they ate, Kate was given time to prepare for what she was going to tell (Y/n) so that she didn't make a fool out of herself should she stutter or fall short of words to convey how she felt and thought.

"I'm a devoted Christian, for one. I have two younger sisters - one of then is ten and the is twelve - called Lynn and Tilly. I've got a pet rabbit called Alice. Sometimes I draw as my hobby. Umm... I was born in September, so I'm a Virgo as my Zodiac sign. When I graduate, I want to become a children's book author. I don't really have plans on my future but I would love to have some kids of my own."

"So what's getting you down? Is it this video everybody keeps talking about?"

Kate frowned and dropped her gaze. "Yeah... when my parents found out, my mother automatically made me the outcast of the family - to her, at least. But my father still cares and so do my sister... I think. Do you care about me, (Y/n)? Or are just saying that because you pity me?"

"Kate, for the entire two days that I've known you, I can see how much of a kind and gentle soul you are. You're smart, you're compassionate, you're a hard worker. I think you're great! You've helped so much. Even more than you think. You being here for me shows something about you. And so I want to be there for you when you need me."

The two stared, mesmerised into each other's eyes as they continued eating and carrying out their date. When another fifteen minutes passed by, the two paid their bill and took their leave back for the campus. Inside (Y/n)'s car, he had the radio playing. In addition to the music and the scenery, Kate found herself really enjoying life outside of social media and her school life. Kate rested her head against the window and watched as things passed them.

(Y/n) drove into the parking lot of Blackwell Academy and parked in the exact same spot he was in earlier. He and Kate got out separately and began to walk along to their dorms where night had risen and the sun was all but absent from the sky. It was a quiet walk but Kate was internally screaming at how much she enjoyed her date and being with (Y/n). There was no sight of security guard, David, so the concern Kate had of running into him had disappeared.

"Thank you for escorting me back to my room, (Y/n). I really enjoyed our date today. Maybe we could do it again sometime?" Kate said happily.

"It's been my genuine pleasure, Kate. I would love to go on another date with you. I had a fantastic time with you." (Y/n) replied, sharing the same enthusiasm.

Kate quickly pecked (Y/n)'s cheek, leaving him mesmerised by her gesture before she took her time entering her room, stealing one last glance at the brown-haired boy who watched her leave his company for the rest of the day. A wide smile formed on (Y/n)'s face. Gleefully, (Y/n) sprung off his feet as he sang to nobody but himself on his way back to his room. 

Little did (Y/n) know, somebody had witnessed the whole thing...