9

This time it wasn't just the palace servants who were stunned. Shang JunLin, who was standing close to Shen Yu, couldn't sense the slightest trace of fear in him.

Shen Yu was trembling, but not because he was afraid. It was more like the intense excitement of encountering something extremely interesting.

Without conscious thought, Shang JunLin released the hand gripping Shen Yu's chin. Shen Yu shook his head and complained in a low voice, "You pinched me."

Shang JunLin couldn't help looking at the skin he'd just grasped. It was already tinged with a light layer of crimson.

... So delicate.

Unexpectedly, a flicker of irresolution crossed his face. Shen Yu's eyes sparked with interest. He stood up, slowly approached Shang JunLin, and leaned close to his ear. In a voice only the two of them could hear, he said, "Does Your Majesty feel guilty?"

Shang JunLin grabbed Shen Yu's shoulder to stop him from getting any closer. "Shen Yu, you're overstepping your bounds," he scolded in a low voice.

Shen Yu immediately straightened and gave a formal and proper salute. "Please forgive me, Your Majesty."

Shang JunLin wasn't sure why, but when he saw Shen Yu suddenly act like this, he felt a hint of loss. Covering up the unsettled emotions inside him, he took Shen Yu's hand and led him to the side of the bed to sit down. "Are you truly angry with this emperor?"

Shen Yu: "Does Your Majesty want to hear the truth or a lie?"

Shang JunLin: "This emperor dislikes people who lie."

Shen Yu: "The truth is... I'm not angry."

Shang JunLin didn't believe it. "You're acting like you're angry."

"Well, in fact, at first I was a little angry." Shen Yu lifted his hand and indicated a short distance between his thumb and index finger. "Just a bit. But I'm not angry anymore."

Shang JunLin turned Shen Yu's head towards him again, but this time he was careful with his strength and avoided hurting Shen Yu. He looked into Shen Yu's eyes as if he was trying to see into his heart.

"Really?"

"How could I dare lie to Your Majesty?" Shen Yu let the man inspect his face. Curious, he asked, "Why didn't Your Majesty tell me?"

"It wasn't an important matter." Shang JunLin avoided Shen Yu's focused gaze. "The doctor said your body needs rest to recuperate. It wasn't worth making a scene in front of you."

It was because of his health? Shen Yu was startled, and a warm current welled up in his heart. He'd grown up with a sickly body but received little thoughtfulness or concern even as a child. Whether in this life or his previous one, there weren't many people who cared about his well-being.

As if aware he might have said too much, Shang JunLin added, "This emperor was also afraid you'd have nightmares and disturb my sleep."

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. With Your Majesty by my side, nothing can scare me." Shen Yu didn't try to poke further. Smiling, he leaned closer to the man and rested his head on his shoulder.

"This emperor has discovered you're not afraid of anything in heaven or earth." Feeling the unfamiliar weight on his shoulder, Shang JunLin's lips slightly turned up.

"No, I'm only afraid Your Majesty will ignore me," Shen Yu murmured.

Without waiting for Shang JunLin to speak, Shen Yu continued, "I know Your Majesty did it for my own good. How can I be angry with Your Majesty for that? Besides, how could some strangers I don't even know be more important than Your Majesty?"