20

"Is it possible for the noble monarch to have a lover other than me?" Shang JunLin took the young man's arm and leaned closer.

"Of course not." Shen Yu averted his eyes. "Who in the world could compare with Your Majesty?"

Suddenly remembering the secret report that was prepared by the Hidden Dragon Guard before Shen Yu entered the palace, Shang JunLin's cold eyes darkened further. "The noble monarch should take care not to lie to this emperor."

"Your Majesty should have confidence in yourself. Or confidence in my vision. Why would I choose a fish eye instead of a dragon pearl like Your Majesty?" Shen Yu's lips curved in a smile. "I have good eyesight."

"The noble monarch's eyesight truly is good. You can even see when someone intends to break into the prison." Shang JunLin's tone was level, as if he was speaking casually.

Shen Yu wasn't foolish enough to think Shang JunLin was praising him. He knew he couldn't give a flippant response.

All kinds of thoughts flashed through his mind, but not a hint appeared on his face. As if he hadn't heard Shang JunLin's implied meaning, Shen Yu tilted his head. "Those people were suspicious. It was obvious at a glance they were planning something. If it was Your Majesty who discovered them, Your Majesty would have instantly known they were up to no good."

Shang JunLin gave Shen Yu a meaningful stare. A faint smile appeared in his eyes. "What the noble monarch says is reasonable."

"Your Majesty, did you find the mastermind who planned the prison break?" This was a topic Shen Yu was interested in.

The responsibility for the prison break-in was publicly blamed on a senior member of the Zhang family, and the entire Zhang clan had been convicted and beheaded or exiled. With the downfall of the Zhangs, the matter of Imperial Censor Zhang also came to an end.

But Shen Yu knew the target of the prison break was Young Master He, not Imperial Censor Zhang. Naturally, the Zhang family wasn't behind it. There was a high probability the King of Yue was the mastermind, but Shen Yu didn't know if Shang JunLin had discovered that yet.

"The noble monarch is so clever. Why don't you guess who tried to rob the prison?"

"If Your Majesty won't even give me a hint, how can I guess?" Shen Yu complained.

"Does the noble monarch know who they wanted to free?" Shang JunLin asked.

"I don't." Shen Yu shook his head. Even if he knew, he couldn't admit it.

"The target's name was He JinYuan." As he spoke, Shang JunLin scrutinized Shen Yu's face. Not a flicker of expression escaped him.

He kept thinking it was too much of a coincidence, which meant it was no coincidence at all. But he didn't know what role Shen Yu had played.

When he looked at the clear eyes of the young man, Shang JunLin hoped he genuinely had nothing to do with it.

Shen Yu let Shang JunLin examine him, and his face didn't change. He knew about Young Master He because of his previous life, and he wasn't afraid of Shang JunLin investigating. No matter how powerful the Hidden Dragon Guard was, it was impossible for them to find something that hadn't happened.

Shen Yu frowned slightly. "He JinYuan? It had something to do with the He family?"

"Yes." Shang JunLin hadn't detected anything unusual in Shen Yu. He looked away and nodded. "He's the most capable young man in the He family. They have high hopes he'll lead the family back to the peak of influence.

"The He family is currently in decline, but a few decades ago they were prosperous and distinguished. They had the wind at their backs in Da Huan. If not for the fact the previous emperor disliked the He family's daughter, their family might still be in control of the court.