12

Mu Xi had no idea Shang JunLin would arrive just now, and the emperor didn't tell anyone to announce him when he entered. Shang JunLin came to Yuzhang Palace at specific times, mostly in the evening or at night, while Mu Xi usually discussed things with Shen Yu in the morning.

After entering the palace, Shen Yu continued to have his people keep an eye on the Zhenbei Marquis' residence. His focus, of course, was the original book protagonist, Shen QingRan. Reports made their way back to him in the palace every so often.

He hadn't expected the King of Yue and Shen QingRan to hook up so soon, much earlier than in the book. Was it because Shen Yu was no longer in the way?

By this time in his last life, Shen QingRan had already entered the palace, and the progress of his relationship with the King of Yue naturally stagnated for a while. But Shang JunLin was now here, and Shen Yu didn't have time to think about anything else. He quickly gathered his thoughts and got up to meet the emperor.

"Did Your Majesty finish your work today?"

Shang JunLin was diligent about government affairs. He spent most of his day managing his duties, and sometimes even brought official reports to Yuzhang Palace.

Shang JunLin didn't answer Shen Yu's question. "If this emperor hadn't come here at this hour, I wouldn't have heard your little servant say such interesting things." His falcon-like gaze fell on Mu Xi. "Tell this emperor, who troubled our noble monarch?"

"Your Majesty, forgive this slave. This slave..." Mu Xi fell to her knees with a "thump" and bowed her head.

Shen Yu was unconcerned. "His Majesty is just curious. What's the harm of saying it? At worst, your dear master will be ridiculed."

Mu Xi couldn't help looking at Shen Yu. She was surprised to see that his face wasn't flustered at all. He seemed to think what she had to say wasn't a big deal.

Shen Yu really didn't care if Shang JunLin knew. The relationship between himself and Shang JunLin wasn't the normal relationship between an emperor and a concubine. And the emperor might already know what Mu Xi wanted to keep from him.

"Then I'll say it. Your Majesty, don't make fun of me." Sighing, Shen Yu walked to Shang JunLin and pulled his sleeve with an aggrieved expression. "I just found out that a person who said he liked me before I entered the palace is now involved with my di brother at home. Obviously, when that man spoke of love, it was just empty talk, completely untrustworthy."

"Oh?" Shang JunLin smoothly took Shen Yu's waist, trapping Shen Yu in front of him. Shang JunLin bowed his head and said intimately, "Then is the noble monarch broken-hearted?"

His voice was full of affection, with an indefinable meaning. The skin on Shen Yu's neck turned pale pink beneath the man's warm breath.

As that jade-like skin was dyed with a blush, the emperor's eyes darkened.

His voice was low and hoarse. "This emperor will take vengeance on him for you, all right?"

The atmosphere was suddenly ambiguous, and the strength of the arms around his waist increased. Shen Yu stared into the man's dark eyes and felt his heart pound.

Warm sunshine poured in from the open window, partly falling on them. Shen Yu thought the arms around his waist were even hotter than the sun itself, as if they were about to burn up.

"Your Majesty..." Shen Yu turned his head and avoided the man's heavy gaze. "You're hurting me."

Shang JunLin looked at him deeply for a moment, then loosened his arms. "The noble monarch is so delicate. Whatever shall we do in the future?"