46

With a clatter, Jiang HuaiQing's chopsticks fell onto the table.

The young man's mouth sagged open, and he uttered a meaningless syllable.

Shang JunLin's hand also paused.

Only Hè ChengYu, who'd already guessed the relationship between the two, remained as usual.

Shen Yu looked at Jiang HuaiQing, who was obviously shocked to the core. "Why, are you surprised?"

"Not really." Jiang HuaiQing smiled awkwardly. "It's just a little unexpected."

During the short time they spent together, the man's possessiveness towards Shen Yu was unconcealed, and Shen Yu clearly indulged his every move. Jiang HuaiQing could see their relationship wasn't ordinary. What he didn't expect was...

"So you're already married."

Shen Yu blinked. "There was no other way. Our families insisted."

Jiang HuaiQing was still stunned. "The two of you don't seem like people who'd be at the mercy of your families...."

Shen Yu smiled but didn't say anything.

During the second half of the meal, Jiang HuaiQing ate without tasting his food.

After they finished, Jiang HuaiQing got up to leave with Hè ChengYu. He was still trying to digest what he'd heard.

Shen Yu didn't try to keep him. There was no hurry to get acquainted.

Shang JunLin took a handkerchief and slowly wiped his hands. "Ah Yu seems to have a good impression of that Young Master Jiang."

"Is it that obvious?"

"You haven't been like this to anyone else." Shang JunLin lightly pointed out the truth.

"Your Majesty doesn't like me meeting this..." Shen Yu deliberately paused. Seeing Shang JunLin's body gradually tense, he said the last two words, "Young master?"

"It's enough for the noble monarch to have this emperor." Shang JunLin concluded with a counterexample: "It wouldn't be good to turn into the King of Yue."

"Hahahaha." Shen Yu cracked up. "Why, is Ah Lin comparing me to the King of Yue? Do you think I'll be like him and collect one of every color?"

"I didn't mean that." He didn't want to see Shen Yu surrounded by Young Master Jiang and Young Master Hè for some reason.

"I know." Shen Yu wiped the tears from the corners of his eyes. "Ah Lin can rest assured. I don't have any interest in opening a dye workshop."

Speaking of dye workshops, Shen Yu remembered the woman dressed in pink who scolded the King of Yue so hard he couldn't answer back.

"Does Your Majesty know anything about that young lady of the Fang family?"

Shang JunLin was vigilant. "What do you have in mind?"

"What does Your Majesty think?" Shen Yu was amused. "I just think it's a shame she's unable to contribute to Da Huan."

"But she's a woman." Shang JunLin frowned. Although Da Huan was more open than other dynasties and had fewer restrictions on women, there was no precedent for a woman to become an official.

"Wouldn't it just take a word from Your Majesty?" Shen Yu thought for a moment. "Of course, we'd have to ask this Young Lady Fang for her opinion first."

Shen Yu knew that in the era Shen QingRan came from, women were able to live independent lives. Since ancient times, there'd been more than a few women with immense talents. It was truly a waste to make them remain in the inner courtyard.