Chapter 76

Tobias POV
I grab my leather jacket as tris is tying her shoes. She stands up and smiles, "Ready?" I ask. She nods and we make our way to the train. "I want to warn you that she doesn't really.. Have a filter I guess you could say." I tell tris. She just shrugs and stares out at the night sky. "Here we are." I say pointing to the jumping point for factionless.

We walk in and tris slides her hand in mine. "This place is.." "Insane. I know." I finish for her. "They're like a big family." She says. I smile at her thinking. It's something I love about her, she's pure dauntless but her heart is much more. "Tobias! Welcome back!" Edgar says walking towards us. He has a recently sharpened knife in his hand, ready to attack anyone at any moment.

"Edgar." "Who's this?" He asks. "Tris." I answer. "We're here for evelyn." I say. "I figured that." Edgar says while leading us to a room. He opens it for us and we step in. There's a wooden staircase right by the entrance that I assume lead to bedrooms or spare rooms. The living room is dark and a Maroon colored couch sits in the corner. The kitchen is ahead of us, wooden flooring, and dark green and grey walls.

"Tobias." Says a voice I know, and I've never grown to love, at least not anymore. "Evelyn." "Mother." She adds. I hold back a laugh. "You must be.. Beatrice." She says holding her hand out. "Tris." Tris corrects her. She shakes her hand and we follow evelyn into the kitchen and take a seat at the table. "Well you certainly look Abnegation." She says. Her eyes are no where near as evil or dark as Marcus's but there's something behind them.

"How did you-" "know you were Abnegation?" My mother cuts tris off. "Well I used to be part of that faction, and I know much about you." She says. Tris tenses. It is disturbing to hear someone you barely know say that they know a lot about you. "You have a brother named caleb who chose erudite if I'm correct. Andrew prior, your father. Natalie prior, you mother, sweet woman." Evelyn says with a smirk.

"And I know that you love my son." She says. "Don't call me that." I mumble. "I do." Tris says bravely. "And if I may ask, what can you give him? Why you, out of any other woman?" She asks. My hands clench into fists and I see tris gulp. Evelyn just stares her down. "I'll tell you." I speak up. She looks at me, her eyes telling me not to talk but her voice isn't saying that so I will speak.

"Tris helped me. She loved like I deserve to be loved. She saved me." I say. Her eyes widen a bit but her face doesn't soften. "You never did those things." I say. "I care to differ." She adds. She's calm whereas I'm fuming. "Please enlighten me." "Those nights I took beatings for you. Cleaned you up-" "You left me!" I yell as I slam my hand on the table making tris jump, along with a smash of a fallen glass. "I had-" "to save yourself." I cut her off. "Tobias." Tris whispers placing a hand on my thigh.

I sit back down. "Well I see you've made quite an impression." Evelyn says to tris. She doesn't say anything. "Why dauntless?" She asks. "What?" "Why'd you chose dauntless?" Evelyn makes it clearer. "I wasn't selfless enough." Tris admits. "I don't believe that." Evelyn says. She grabs a glass and pours some Crimson wine into it, taking a sip. "I think you wanted to make a brave and bold choice. And go where tobias went." She says. "You could certainly be erudite." Tris remarks. "How so dear?" Evelyn asks. "You seem to know everything!" "Do I?" Evelyn's smirk doesn't disappear. "Yes." Tris says. Evelyn laughs.

"Tobias. That position is still open-" "No. I'm not joining you." I say. "I'm still your mother and I still love y-" "Don't you dare say it! Don't you dare!" I say. I get up and tris stands with me knowing I want to leave. "You got to meet tris. Anything else?" I ask clearly annoyed. She shakes her head with her mischievous smirk plastered on her face. "Come on tris." I say. We walk out the door but I hear four words I wish I didn't. "I still love you."