Chapter 96

Tobias POV
We all came back to dauntless about an hour ago, many stayed up to go drink in the pit and sooner or later stumble to drink recklessly in the chasm.

But I went to the dorms, changed out of my sweaty clothes and washed up before bed. Now I'm sitting in my bed, thinking about what I did and how Tris just stared at me while I explained myself to her.

I rub the palms of my hands over my face, feeling stupid for what I did. I don't regret beating Caleb, because he had it coming. But I regret how it looked like it hurt Tris. I've never had a brother or sister, so I don't know that feeling. The feeling of hurt you get from hearing that your sibling is hurting.

I used to think of what it would be like to have a sibling, if evelyn really had been pregnant and had the child. But I know that obviously that would've never happened.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of footsteps, and I know that it wouldn't be an initiate or any other dauntless that went to the pit. Because no person here in dauntless would come back early from drinking, more less before they got themselves drunk.

I turn my head and I see a beautiful blonde walk into the dorms, my beautiful blonde.

"You're not drinking?" She finally speaks. She walks over to her bed, and sits across from me. "Is that really shocking?" I ask and she laughs softly.

"I'm sorry." She says and I'm a bit taken back. Why is she sorry? I'm the one who beat up her brother.

"Why are you sorry?" I ask. "Because I just left you there.. and I made it seem like I was more mad than I really was." Tris says. I see her playing with her fingers, that are placed in her lap.

"You don't have to apologize." I say and she looks at me. "I'm the one that needs to apologize. I'm sorry I beat him up, and there really is no good excuse for it." I say. And before I can say more, she cuts in.

"No you did. You had a good reason." She tells me. "You were standing up for me." She says and gets up. "And that has to be the best reason there is." She adds, sitting down on my lap. I automatically wrap my arms around her, holding her close to me.

"I love you, you know that right?" I ask her. She moves her head so that she's looking up at me. "I know." She whispers. "And I love you." She adds, and wraps one of her arms around my neck. And pulls me down till my lips reach hers.

This is what relationships are, they take work and effort to make it. They take hurt, pain, and arguments to figure out that you are strong.

It takes love, kindness, and watching out for each other to realize that you're vulnerable, that you need love.

But when you go through everything, every kiss, every argument. Every hug, every fight. Every 'I love you', every 'I hate you'. You then know.. that this is the person you want to be with. The one for you.. The one.

Tris pulls back, "Want to go get drunk?" She asks with a smile plastered on her face. "I thought you'd never ask." I respond and she kisses me once more before getting up.

******

We're surrounded by drunk dauntless people, and half drunk dauntless people. I've kind of surprised myself by the amount that I've drank. Not even a full bottle, so I'm perfectly sober, now Tris... Not so much. I can tell she's getting tipsy, but I want her to be able to let go. Have some fun, and I'll be here for her.

"We should go to the chasm." She tells me. "No." I say shaking my head. "Why?" She asks.

"Because you're drunk and you could fall." I tell her and she pouts. I laugh and pull her into my arms. She really does seem drunk now, but I've got hold of her and I have no plans to let her go.

"What if I don't make it?" I hear Tris ask. And she must've hit the point where she's talking truthfully now, and full of wonder with a fogged up mind.

"What if you do make it?" I ask back.

"Tris, You'll make it." I say and she shrugs.

"I don't know, I mean I know you will-" "Wait. Why do you say that?" I ask her.

"Because look at you!" She says. "You are a great fighter, great with anything physical, and you have just the appearance that dauntless look for." She says and I don't know why but it makes me a little upset.

"Stop underestimating yourself." I say, and turn her around to face me. "You are going to make it into dauntless." I say looking right into her eyes, and she's looking back.

"You are a damn good dauntless at that. Tris, dauntless look for- or should look for more than just the fighter aspect." I say.

"You do great in the fear simulations." I tell her and she nods. "And hey, I happen to love your appearance." And that makes her laugh. I kiss the top of her head. "I love you." I say and she kisses me.

"Now can we go to the chasm?" She asks. "No, we're going to bed." I say. "What?!" "Tris its midnight." I say and she starts mumbling things that I can't hear. I laugh and we get back to the dorms.

Tris changes, which I have to help her with. She had trouble figuring out her shirt and lets face it, everything else. I can tell that she's going to have a bad hangover tomorrow morning and I have to suppress a smile the thought brought me.

"You good?" I ask after getting her ready to fall asleep. "Yeah, I'm tired." Tris says and I tuck her in under the covers.

"I'm sure you are princess." I say and she smiles. I'm about to get into my bed when she stops me.

"Tobias?" She asks.

"Hmm?" I ask.

"Lay with me." She say and I smile, slipping into her bed. Right next to her, holding her fragile body in my arms.

"I love you Tris." I say into her ear, but I already know that she's asleep.

****

TRIS POV

"I love you Tris." It's the last thing I hear before I fully fall asleep, and I'm glad that it's those words.