Chapter 39

Tobias POV
After dinner we are free to do what ever we'd like, I decide to go look for tris. I'd like to have time with her before bed, I'm going to sleep early tonight since fights start tomorrow!

I find her sitting up against a rock in the chasm, water spitting at her feet. "Hey." I say joining her. "Hi." She says and kisses me. We've been more affectionate since we're not in abnegation anymore, and I'm happy for that.

"I got a tattoo." Tris says after a few moments of silence. "Really?" She nods and shows me. 3 Ravens across her collarbone. I touch then each with my finger and she smiles. "I got one too." I say and I show her by pulling up the side of my shirt. As I do, dauntless flames are revealed. "I like it." She whispers. After another episode of silence I speak up. "Can I tell you something?" I ask and she nods. "Of course." She says and turns to look t me more. "I have a theory, that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different." She smiles. "I like that theory." She says. "I have a question." She says still looking deep into my eyes. "Sure. " she takes a deep breathe.

"I'm not pretty. So why me?" I feel a tingle in my chest, it saddens me that she thinks that about herself. "First off.. Your not pretty. Your beautiful. Second I like how you look. You're deadly smart. Brave and even though you know about Marcus and my past..." I take a brief pause. "You aren't giving me that look, like I'm a kicked puppy or something." She smiles. "Thank you. And your not." She says.

As the river roars around us, I find her lips and press mine to them. There deep in the chasm we kiss.