Chapter 80

Tris POV
It's been a few days since caleb showed, yet his words still linger in my mind. "Tris?" I hear tobias whisper. It's about midnight and all the other initiates are asleep around us. "Why are you up?" He asks. His voice still has sleep to it but his eyes are wide awake. "Thinking." I say. "Me too." He says. "Let's head to the training room." He says. I nod and get my combat boots on. We walk out together and enter the musty training room.

"What were you thinking about?" Tobias asks while wrapping his hands with black tape. "Caleb." I say. "What were you thinking about?" I add. "My mother." He says. It kind of catches me off guard, even though it shouldn't. "I.. I might want to see her again. Privately." He says. And that definitely catches my off guard. "Why?" I ask picking up a knife, then throwing at the board hitting dead center.

"I want to tell her things I've kept inside of me for so long." He says. "Oh." I say understanding where he's coming from more now. "I'm not agreeing to anything nor am I forgiving her. I just want to get things off my chest." He says. I smile, I didn't know I did but I did. "I think that's actually really smart." I say. "Thanks." He says throwing a punch at the orange colored punching bag.

I throw another knife and another, each hitting center. I turn after ten minutes of throwing to see tobias covered in sweat, I mean covered. His shirt soaked, hair wet, and he's lucky he wrapped his hands or his knuckles would be split. "Let's head back." I say. He nods and takes the tape off. I take a drink from the water bottle I brought and we head back. "I need to shower." He says. "I agree." I say and he chuckles lightly.

"Would you.. This is gonna sound weird." He starts, his hand behind his neck, looking quite nervous. "Would you want to shower with me?" He asks, he had stopped walking and I turn to him. "Sure." I say with a small genuine smile. We walk back and that was the first time we showered together, and it was perfect.