Don't Go [...]

Genre: Romance, Angst, Death

Date Published: March 16, 2022

A/N: This is actually inspired by an acting skit I found on facebook. Weird inspiration to write I know LOLOLOL

***

You have been trying to cheer Kaito up ever since he got hospitalized a month ago. From bringing his favorite food that the doctor allowed him to digest to lousy magic tricks you learned on the internet to try and make your lover smile. Heck, you even started pulling mild pranks on him just to get him to let out the laugh you miss hearing. 

To no avail, all your attempts failed. Kaito will smile occasionally but you knew him well. The mask he promised to put away was suddenly returned back after he got here. It was no time for sunshine and happiness after Kaito was diagnosed with an incurable illness. You knew that but how could you not do anything when as days pass by, the man you love is slowly slipping out of your grasp?

But you had to stopped after he relapsed a week ago. You couldn't bear seeing the pained expression he had that day. It must've been too unbearable for him to show such an expression on his face when he has mastered masking every emotion he has once the mask is on.

And right now? it was the first time you didn't utter a word.

You have been sitting on a chair beside his bed by the window while staring outside. The laughter of the children outside was the only audible thing that filled the room you are currently in as well as a heart monitor by the bed on the other side. You wanted to start a conversation with Kaito but you knew that you will either only get a nod or a short answer from him. So you stopped and just kept all your worry for him to yourself.

Kaito, on the other hand, was aware of what you're doing while we watches you stare outside. He didn't mean to treat you coldly like that especially knowing that you were only worried for him and wanted to make him feel better. But he just can't. Imagine leading a happy life with the woman you wanted to spend your life with, a stable life and a career that will definitely leave a legacy like his father did, vanish into thin air after he found out he only have three months to live?

It felt like a joke. A hilarious joke that Fate wanted to cast on him of all people. Why does it have to be him? No, forget that. Why does everyone have to deal with this when everything has been perfectly fine? Is this his punishment? For what though? For the crimes he committed when he was a Phantom Thief? For the revenge he accomplished for his deceased father? For what exactly does he have to suffer like this when all he wants is to live a long life with you...

Kaito didn't want things to remain like this which is why he called out to you.

"Y/n, can you look at me for a second?"

It was the first time in a while that you heard your name from his mouth that you immediately obeyed and turned to his direction. Right when you look at him, you saw him smile for the first time in 30 days. A genuine smile that you could stare all day to burn it in your mind, knowing that you wouldn't be able to witness it again after two months have pass by...

"Oh no, Baby! Shhh... it's alright. Everything will be alright okay? Come here."

Kaito usher you to his side without taking his eyes off you. He hated seeing you cry and he will do everything to make you stop crying. But he also know you needed this. But he wasn't ready to the events that will happen next.

Kaito tensed up when you suddenly started speaking between your cries which broke his heart even more.

"I-It's not alright!  Everything's n-not alright and I h-hated how I can't even d-do anything! I don't know how I-I'll deal with this a-after you cross the L-l-light! It's alright for you but K-Kaito, what about m-me? What will h-happen to me when you're g-g-gone? I wanted to make more m-memories with you b-but I don't want t-them to be for the p-purpose of you l-leaving them for me to c-carry on my own! I'm sorry if I'm being s-selfish but Kaito, I-I-I j-just want to be with y-you where we don't have to w-worry about tomorrow-" 

Suddenly, you were pulled into a tight embraced which broke you even more as you started sobbing on his chest. It must be difficult for him to be standing right now but he still did just to reach out for you. 

"I never said that I was fine leaving you on your own, idiot. I just didn't want you to treat me like I'll die any moment now. I know it will be hard but Y/n," 

Kaito pulled away and lifted your chin up, wiping the tears off your face with his thumb as he smile.

"Can we focus on the right now instead? It's a selfish request but I want to bring memories of spending my remaining days here on Earth with the woman I wish I could be with till the end of time. Let's not waste any more days and instead make the most of it, ne?"

His words were enough to make you cry once more but this time, it was a cry with acceptance in your heart. That even if he will leave, you will do your best to continue on knowing that a man named Kuroba Kaito will continue to be by your side in the form of the memories and emotions he left to you. Treasures that you will forever remember until you meet him once again in the gates of Heaven with a goofy smile on his face saying,

"Welcome Home Y/n!"

***

A/N: Yeah I'm writing this instead of doing my midterm examination that is due later. LOLOLOL