2

Time can heal things but it can also ruin them!

.

.

.

Briana was standing near the coffee machine, waiting for the latte to get ready, while tears flowed down from her eyes. She gently wiped them off, thankful no one was there to witness her breakdown. The fact that she was in love with Jake Cooper, despite his attitude towards her, made her loathe herself even more.

She sniffled and threw the tissue into the bin, before grabbing the cup and walking out of the room. Upon reaching his cabin, she gently knocked on the door and opened it. She peeked inside to ask his permission but to her surprise, he was not on his desk. She quietly stepped inside, her eyes wandering everywhere. She kept the coffee on the desk and was about to leave when the door to the washroom opened.

She turned around to look at Jake, who was wiping his hands with a tissue. He turned around only to come face to face with her. Briana gulped visibly when their gazes locked. Knowing what he had said to her, she grimaced inwardly.

"What?", Jake arched his left brow.

"You-your coffee..", she pointed to the hot steaming cup kept on his desk.

"Okay? Anything else?", he shrugged.

"No..no, Sir", she said and lowered her gaze.

"Then what are you waiting for? Christmas?", he gave her a lopsided grin.

"Uh you didn't ask me to leave..", she hesitated again, fidgeting with her fingers to calm her nerve-wrecked self.

"Isn't that understood?", he tilted his head.

She snapped her head to him and glowered, "Tried it in the morning but backfired!".

He raised his brows at her, impressed by her audacity. That was one of the many qualities he liked about her, being expressive and never afraid to call him out.

"You can forget about that", he said casually as if he had never snapped at her in the first place. That was Jake's way of apologizing. He never said sorry directly but made sure the other person understood he was.

He pulled the chair and sat on it before taking his first sip from the cup. He stared down at her, "Leave!"

And she rushed out of the room, again!

~~~

Jake had wrapped up the most of the meetings but the one with the lawyer had him caught up. The new hotel chain that he had planned to buy in New York was still under the suspicion of his rivals. He knew he had to act fast in order to get it at the best deal.

Just then, there was a knock on the door and Ricky, his employee entered with some files in his hands.

"Sir, these are the ones from the New York chain", he said as he stacked them up on the table in front of Jake.