28

When the heart breaks, it shatters everything...

.

.

.

Jake was busy with his work when an unwanted knock on the door grabbed his attention.

"Come in!", he said while his eyes dug into the laptop.

"Good morning, sir".

He shifted his attention towards the source of the voice and found Briana standing at the door with her usual iPad in her hands. She shut the door behind her as she walked in. Unable to look him in the eye, she kept her gaze on the iPad as if doing something very important.

"Morning, What's in for the day?", he asked her.

"Sir, we have, I mean you have 3 meetings to-"

"I? What do you mean by I have? You know you have to accompany me in all the meetings?", he said as he leaned back in his chair.

"Right, sir but today I won't be able to stay in the office", she said, looking down at her shoes.

"And why is that?", he asked getting curious. But before Briana could answer, her cut her off. "Oh yes, is it because of the new courtship that you've entered into? Is it because you have some stupid relationship to take care of now?", he taunted her.

She shot her head towards him at a lightning speed upon hearing that. Well that was surely not in her mind. In fact, she herself didn't know why she wanted to go back home. All she knew was she couldn't stay with Jake for some time. She needed to be away so as to take him out of her mind.

And devote all her time to the person who actually cares for her.

"I didn't say anything like that!", she snapped. "If at all, I'm asking for a few days off. Is it too much to ask for?", she glared at him.

Jake, nevertheless was quite shocked to see her talk back to him like that. She wasn't like that. And if she is behaving in a strange way, it surely means something is up.

He shut the laptop and got up from his chair. He walked towards Briana and gestured her to sit on the couch. She looked at him and then at the couch. As baffled as she could have been, she shook her head and preferred to stand.

 As baffled as she could have been, she shook her head and preferred to stand