22

One should know how to #get there faster.... Just like JOEY TRIBBIANI #FRIENDS

.

.

.

After having breakfast in almost silence, they got into his car and left for the office.

During the ride, Jake's mind was elsewhere. He couldn't forget what he saw in the morning and it was just irritating him a lot. He was a mess! He was disappointed in himself.

How in the world is he able to remember almost everything about that mysterious girl but not her face? Why was he so careless? Why did he just care about having the best sex of his life?

What harm could have possibly occurred if he would just be able to remember her face!!

"Damn it!", he cursed, punching the steering wheel.

Beside him was seated Briana who shook in fear abruptly. She knew that something was off with him but how was she to get it out of his mouth?

"Sir-"

"I'm sorry!", he said almost immediately cutting her off. "I'm not in the right state of mind", he said shaking his head. "Can you please talk about something and not be as quiet as you are!", he almost yelled at her.

Briana was taken aback by the sudden demand but deep down she knew it was the right thing to do. He needed to get his mind off whatever it was that was disturbing him.

"Wanna know the biggest secret of my life?", she said, her voice barely above a whisper. But she knew she was ready for it.

She was ready to tell him!

"Shoot!", he said looking at her and then back at the road.

"My-It's about my dad", her voiced faded out.

"Your dad?", his head shot in her direction at a lightning speed that he himself was shocked that his pivotal joint was still intact. "What's such a big secret about him?", he asked her, concentrating back on the road.

 "What's such a big secret about him?", he asked her, concentrating back on the road

And then it hit him.

"Oh", his eyes widened as he gave her a sideways glance. "Is that why you dodged the topic about your dad's picture yesterday?", he asked her not believing he got into that trap. "I thought you didn't register my question", he said, shock audible enough in his tone.

"I generally don't like talking about the only person who-", she choked on her saliva as this was a sensitive topic for her. "- who I can call family, but there's nothing about him that I can call 'family'", she said using her fingers to quote family in inverted comas.

"Why's that?", he asked her. The topic about family was sensitive for him too but it didn't matter to him a lot as he didn't have one.

"My parents-they...they had a love marriage but after I was born, my mom-she..she realized that whatever income we had was not good enough to meet her demands so-, she stopped just to keep her tears at bay. So she eloped with..with someone richer who could provide her with everything she ever wanted, the tears were already in her eyes, threatening to fall and expose how shallow she was. But she continued because she just felt like opening up to him. "My dad couldn't take it and after a few years, he ran away with someone else, leaving me to fend for myself", she completed as she wiped the tears off her face.