Chapter Twenty-Six

We arrived to the cottage as soon as the gun went off. We all jumped out of the car running inside. We cleared the first floor as fast as we could. I didn't see Henry or Emily yet.

"There's a door!" I heard Derek yell. He lifted his foot and kicked the door in. We heard crying. We went down slowly and surrounded Jessica who was on the floor hovering over Emily.

"This wasn't suppose to happen!" I heard Jessica say, I finally had her in view and my heart stopped when I saw Emily on the floor bleeding.

"Jessica, I need you to step away from Emily okay? She needs help" Hotch said.

"I'm helping her!"

"No you're not! And you need to step away before you have a murder charge on your hands! Step away NOW!" We stood still as we watched her back away, Derek raced forward grabbing her while I ran over to Emily.

"Emily.." I covered the wound with my hands, her eyes cracked open.

"Dammit I died? Jennifer is gonna be jealous that I met an angel..." I chuckled through the tears.

"Hey baby.. I'm right here. Where's Henry?"

"Closet" she said weakly before passing out again. As soon as the paramedics had her I race upstairs to the locked closet we saw. One of the SWAT members cut it open for me. When I opened the door, Henry was curled up sound asleep. I dropped to my knees and pulled him close to me. I rode to the hospital with Derek as I held Henry in my lap. Tears streaming down my face. Why does my life have to be so fucked up?

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMC

"Do you want me to take Henry home? Jack is there tonight" Hotch asked once the clock struck 12am. I chewed my lip looking down at Henry. I knew he needed sleep and new clothes but I didn't want him out of my sight.

"I'll bring him first thing when he wakes up okay? But he needs a bath and new clothes.." I finally nodded and stood up.

"Will you call me if he wakes up looking for me?"

"I'll do one better and FaceTime you" he carefully took Henry from me smiling at me.

"Thank you Aaron"

"Of course JJ, call me once you get an update on Emily" I nodded and sat back down. I was the only one left, everyone else had to finish up the reports for the day.

"Jennifer!" I heard someone yell. I looked up and saw Elizabeth along with Edward coming down the hallway.

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" I got up and gave them a hug, Edward hugging me the longest.

"Well, Garcia called us and told us what happened so we made our way down here. We wanted to be with you and to also see Emily after she's awake. Any news yet?"

"Not yet, still waiting... Do you think she's okay?"

"Of course I do darling. She could never leave you" we sit down, Edward on one side and Elizabeth on the other. I have my head on Edwards shoulder as I sat there trying to keep the negative thoughts away. My stomach was in my knots and my leg wouldn't stop bouncing.

"Jennifer!" I looked up at the sound of that voice. Tears came back to my eyes as I saw my mom and dad walking down the hallway.

"Mom?" I get up and run the rest of the way to them. I throw my arms around my mom hugging her tightly. My dad rubs my back and kisses my head.

"Hey babygirl"

"Hi daddy" I pull back and hug my dad. I inhale the scent of old spice and cigars. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Penelope called us actually. She told us everything that has been going on and we are so sorry that we didn't come sooner. God babygirl, why didn't you call us?" My mom said. I looked at her sadly shrugging.

"I didn't want you guys to think I was weak.. I'm suppose to be this hot shot FBI Agent and I'm suppose to protect and serve! I'm supposed to be able to protect myself and Henry and I can't even do that!"

"We will never think you're weak Jennifer. Everyone has something that overturns everything you've ever learned or known. You and Henry are alive yes?" I nod "So that means you did serve and protect. You're always going to be a hero to him"

"Thank you momma" I hear a throat clear behind us and I turn to see Edward.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but the doctor is here for Emily"

"Okay thank you" I grab my moms hand and we make our way over to where the doctor is.

"Hi, I'm Emily's fiancé.. Is she okay?" Elizabeth comes up beside me and grabs my other hand. My dad was standing behind me and so was Edward.

"It was touch and go at first.. With the way the bullet entered and her being moved made it a little difficult to remove it without causing damage. She also had a bit of a blood loss. But we did remove it without any damage. She'll be out for a little minute but she'll make a full recovery once she does wake up." I close my eyes as the tears fell. "Any other questions?"

"Can I see her?"

"We are finishing up now and once we have her situated in a room a nurse will come and grab you okay?"

"Okay thank you so much Doctor-?"

"Miller"

"Doctor Miller, thank you"

"Of course, have a good night" I turn towards both of our parents.

"Well, I guess I should introduce everyone. Mom, dad this is Mr and Mrs. Prentiss, Emily's parents obviously. Elizabeth and Edward met my parents Susan and Jake Jareau"

"It's good to finally meet you guys, Jennifer has told us a lot about you both!" Elizabeth said as they all shake hands.

"I wish it weren't under these circumstances."

"I agree, how long are y'all in town for?"

"A week. We wanted to spend time with Henry and Jennifer. Also, meet our daughter-in-law? When did that happen?" We all sat down as we waited on the nurse.

"Well, she came back in November and we got engaged New Year's Day. She's the one who saved Henry and I from Will."

"Oh! She was the pretty brunette at your wedding, I saw the way she was looking at you.. Only a woman in love looks like that" I blushed and rolled my eyes. We sat there talking for 10 minutes before a nurse came and grabbed me.

"Jennifer you go ahead first, we can wait" Edward said. I nodded and got up following the nurse. I stood by the door staring at Emily. She looked so small under that white blanket. This is not how I wanted to see her. I slowly walk over to the bed and sit on the edge. I reached a hand up and smoothed her hair down.

"I love you baby.. No matter what. I'm yours entirely" a tear fell on her forehead as I leaned down to kiss it.

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMC

AHH JJ's PARENTS ARE HERE!

Do you think Emily is gonna be scared to meet them or happy? You know she's lowkey shy.

Also, I'm thinking of Emily having a business, but what could she do? Comment what you think.

Hope you're enjoying the story again! 🥰