Chapter Forty

August 20th, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Jareau Household

Henry and I have been in Utah for a month now. I've cut off all connections with everyone except for my parents, Garcia, and Elizabeth. I do online therapy while Henry has a school teacher come by. Garcia kept me updated on Emily. She moved out of the house we had and left Washington. Nobody knows where she is. Elizabeth said she spoke with her a few times but that was about it.

I do miss her. Everyday and I think I'm okay now. It's simple to get her back to me, all I have to do is say one word. Me leaving was something I needed. I dealt with Will then immediately went to her seeking the love I've always wanted from her. I forgot to take care of myself during everything.

"So JJ, how are you feeling today?" My therapist asked me. I sat there for a second.

"I feel good. Like I can finally breathe, I hardly have any nightmares, I don't think about anything that happened as much anymore. I'm starting to miss Emily.. So, I think I'm ready to go home, well to wherever she is."

"Do you think she will want to be with you?"

"I hope so.. I went 4 years without her, I don't think a month would tear us apart. Do you think she will want to be with me?" I asked her in return.

"From what I know about her, I think she will. I mean she did cross an ocean, leave her girlfriend and the Interpol to be with you. She bought a house, killed your ex husband and adopted Henry. So.. Yes, she will. Are you excited to hear from her?"

"I am. I feel like a love sick teenager. I can't wait to hug her and kiss her."

"Well, I think this is our last session."

"Really?" She chuckled.

"Yes, I will email Agent Hotchner and let him know and also your doctor so they can reevaluate you for the medicine. I believe you're gonna be just fine to return to field work." We talked for another 30 minutes before we ended the call. I got up and into Henry's room to check on him.

"Hey buddy how's it going?"

"Good! I can count to 3000!"

"Oh wow that's amazing!" I sat with him through the rest of his class before I went outside to call Elizabeth.

"Anything?" I asked after we said hello to one another.

"She called this morning but didn't have much to say. She told me she's doing okay and that she will be back soon. How are things with you? Think you will be returning soon?"

"That's what I was calling you about. I wanted you to call Emily and tell her blackbird."

"Is that it?"

"Yes, that's all"

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCM

I was just making it into Virginia when I got a call from my mom.

"Hello mother, another call?" I said chuckling.

"Blackbird." I sat there in the back of the the car I was taking back home. We talked for a few minutes before I hung and sent a text to Garcia.

Once I arrived at the small apartment I bought I packed and grabbed everything I needed before heading out again. I'm gonna go to Jennifer before she gets a chance to come to me. I climbed into my car and made my way towards the family's hangar.

As the plane flew towards Utah I took that time to reflect on the month without Jennifer. After she left I sold the house and everything that came with it. I gathered my passports and I left. I traveled under a different name so nobody could find me. I decided to do some volunteer work. I built houses, I've helped the homeless and the less fortunate.

I took time to myself to understand the meaning of life and love. To understand what a relationship really is. I've talked to women that went through what Jennifer did and I learned a lot about helping her through the recovery. I saw a therapist online and I lived life to the best of my abilities.

...

I landed in Utah around 6:30pm, the sun was setting and I took an amazing picture to show Jennifer. I climbed into the car they had waiting for me, I input the address into the GPS and took off.

I was starting to get nervous about seeing her. We haven't talked since that night. I always replay that in my head, I should've handled things differently but I think this situation will help us both grow and learn to appreciate each other more.

As I neared the house I slowed down to give myself a few more minutes. The house fit her, simple and small, just like her. I parked the car and climbed out grabbing my bag. I made my way up the sidewalk slowly looking around.

When I reached the door, I took a deep breath before knocking. "Coming!" Is what I heard being yelled. I kept flexing my hand around the handle of my carryon bag as I waited for her to open the door.

I heard the lock turn and my heart rate speed up, I look up when the door opens. There she is. We stand there staring at one another. She looks so beautiful.

"Hi" I finally say breaking the silence.

"Hi, come in" she says fully opening the door. I step inside and look around. Henry's toys are everywhere and it smells like she's making tacos.

"EMMY!!" I hear being screamed before there's a force thrown at my legs that sends me to the floor. I wrap my arms around him holding him close.

"Hey bubbers. God, I've missed you. Have you been good for mommy?" I stand up holding him in my arms as we make our way to the kitchen with Jennifer.

"Yes, I have. I've missed you too. Are you coming back home?" He asks playing with the necklace around my neck. He's straight to the point just like his mom.

"That's if mommy will take me back.."

"Mommy?"

"Buddy, go clean your toys up then wash your hands for dinner please" he sighs dramatically as he climbs out of my lap. We chuckle as he leaves the room, I watch as she stands there stirring the meat for the tacos. I stand up and make my way over to her. I stand behind her closely.

"Jennifer.." I press my front against her back, she places the food on low and turns around looking up at me. I reach my hand up and place it against her cheek, my thumb rubbing against it. She pushes her cheek into the palm of my hand.

"I'm ready" she whispers. I smile and lean down pressing our lips together.

I'm finally home again.

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCM

Our girls are back together 🥺 they are about to have the most amazing life now. We are done with the drama for now. Time to focus on making them whole again.

I hope you are enjoying the stories. I also hope you guys are staying safe and wearing your mask. Keep your hands clean, change as soon as you know you're home for the day, and keep your distance. Be mindful of those who are high risk.

I love you guys so much. ♥️