Chpt 7: Best brother

Sniffles can be heard from the nearby bench in front of the train tracks. The time is 10 pm, two hours before midnight. The time is ticking fast while Mugman sits still, fear filling up every inch of his body.

He knows that he is no match for anyone.

He knows that he isn't as strong as his brother, as brave as his brother. So without him, he can't do anything but wait for him. It's been an hour since he pass out. He doesn't know what to do, he knows that the Devil will come looking for them, and collect their souls after another hour, but he might as well.

Without his brother, he is nothing.

• • •
"Mugmaaaann!!" He turns his attention towards his brother, sniffling "Why are you crying?" Mugs try his best to explain through his tears, he pointed at the bruise on his elbow "T-The kids punched and l-laughed at me because I-I was scared of the s-spider they showed me" Mugman buried his face in his hands, his body shaking from the pain he received. Cuphead grew furious "What?! Where are they?! I'll teach them a lesson!!" Mugs wipe his tears and pointed a direction "..They also s-said that Im nothing w-without you.." Cuphead was ready to go after them and fight them, but when he heard that, he stopped and sat down beside his brother, putting his hand on his back "..Hey, That's not true!" "B-But it is!!" Mugman yelled, slamming his fist on the chair he was sitting on "Im scared of everything! I-Im weak and a lot of kids don't like me! I..Im pathetic" Mugman looked down at his hands, small hiccups can be heard from him. Suddenly, his brother gently grabbed both of his hands "Mugsy, look at me.." He looked up, seeing his brother's determined eyes "Who rescued me when I almost fell off the roof?" He hesitantly replied, "..I-I did.."
"Who pushed me out of the way, because I was about to get hit by a ball in the playground?"
"..I-I did"
"Who taught me how to bike?"
"..I did"
"Who helped me patch up my wounds when I got into a fight?"
"I did"
"And who is the best brother a cup could ever have?" Cuphead gave him a gentle smile "You are, Mugsy" Mugman's tears fell off, but a smile crept onto his face "Don't listen to them, Mugs, they're just jealous that they don't have the best brother looking after them" Mugman hugged his brother tightly "Thank you, brother.." Cuphead smiled "No Mugsy, thank you"

• • •

Cuphead's eyes flutter open, noticing the bright moon in front of him. He was about to drift off to sleep again, but his eyes suddenly flew wide open, realization hitting him like a bus. He sat up, looking around for Mugman. Where was he? What time is it? Oh no. Did the Devil already collect his soul while he is asleep?! This is bad! What if Mugman is fighting the Devil by himself?! He stood up, ready to rush into the Casino when he hears someone calling "Cuphead!! You're awake!" Cuphead quickly turned around, seeing his brother covered in cuts and bruises, he even has a huge black eye on his left eye. Mugman tripped and fell, luckily, Cuphead caught him "What happened to you?" He asked worriedly, as he help him walk towards the bench "..I was waiting for you t-to.. *grunts*..wake up.. But the time was moving fast, so I knew then that I have to do something.." Cuphead starred at him with wide eyes, as Mugs shows him a piece of brown parchment, opening it, the name "Phantom Express" written on it, with a golden SEAL sticker. He felt his jaw drop, then smiling proudly at his brother "Mugman!!! You defeated them all by yourself?!" Mugman shyly nods, earning a gentle hug from his brother "Good Gosh Mugs!!! You're amazing!! Im so proud of you!!" Mugman can't help but blush "You've grown so strong and brave!!" Cuphead's smile turned into a frown "..But you could've died.." Mugman looked down on his feet "I.. was worried that the Devil would get your soul if we ran out of time... But that doesn't matter now, alright? We got everyone's contracts!" Mugman gave him a pained smile, as guilt slowly started creeping up on Cup's back.

He did this. He put his brother's life at risk. He keeps putting him into sorts of trouble. He is the reason why he is in pain... He is the reason why he's hurt. It's all his fault, and his brother is the one paying for his mistakes "..Cuphead?" He looked up, seeing his worried face, snapping him out of his thoughts "..Is something wrong?" He shook his head, giving him a smile, if they talk about it right now, they'll waste time, and he'll be more of a burden to him than he already is being "No, it's nothing! But let's get you healed up first before we enter the cave, yeah?" Mugman smiled, nodding his head.

They were greeted by the magnificent view in front of them, remembering how excited they were, the first time they stepped into the Casino. Now, they were both scared, but seeing how far they've come, made them feel like they are ready. The manager noticed them approaching, frowning a little as he lost another bet with his Boss that they made after he sent them out to gather those contracts "Well, lookee here! You actually pulled it off...but you made me lose a bet!! And for that, you ain't seein' the boss just yet. We're gonna play a little game first!" The brothers gulped, and suddenly they were dragged to a huge table, they looked around and everything was huge! Or maybe they were small?

Dice gave them a dice (of course) to roll. But also giving them certain points where they can heal, but only if you're lucky. Mugman tugged his brother's sleeve a little and pointed at the plus health. Sounds tempting right? Well, they only have to land on number 3. Cuphead parried the dice and landed on a 3, hooray! They fell again and landed on something. Mugman got on his feet, seeing ashes on his hand. The place was covered in fire, and it was getting difficult to breathe, where were they?

WALLOP!