Chpt 9: Victory!

He saw his soul flying up, leaving his body. Cuphead jumped and reached him as much as possible, extending his arm as far as he could, and it was like time slowed down, as he barely touched his brother's soul. A falling chip messed up his momentum and fell, it cracked on his head. His heart fell, eyes widening in disbelief. His brother's soul was getting higher, and he couldn't reach it no matter how much he tries to jump.

• • •
"uhh, C-Cuphead? I think this is a bad idea..." Cuphead was on a roof. Earlier, while they are playing with a kite, the wind blew so strong that they accidentally let go of the string and the kite got tangled in the trees near their house. So, Cuphead had a genius idea to climb the house and reach the tall tree. Cuphead finally got on the roof, he started leaning on the tree to reach the kite. Mugman worriedly watches him "M-Maybe we should just make another one..?" Cuphead waved his hand "Oh, Banana oil! It took us hours to make something this cool! We can't just let it go to waste!" Mugman's anxiety was going higher, With each step, he took "Just a minute, I can reach it!" Cuphead's fingertips were barely touching the kite, so he tries leaning towards the edge of the roof. He looked down "Whoa.. I..Im very high up.." he gulped and tried to look for his brother, but he wasn't there. Where was he? He shrugs and continued reaching for the kite. He can reach it a little, he just needs to lean in more. He did a little jump, and finally reached the kite! But the old roof cracked, his feet slipped and he fell with a loud scream. He tightly closed his eyes and put his arms in front of him. Then suddenly, he landed on something soft '..huh?' He slowly opens his eyes, seeing a mattress below him, and his brother, tiredly panting. A huge relieved smile showed on Cup's face and hugged his brother tightly "You saved me!!" Mugs hugged back "I told you it was dangerous.." Cuphead sheepishly smiled, pulling away "Thaankk youuu Mugsyy! Please don't be mad!" Mugman crossed his arms "I'll buy ya a donut" He gently nudges his elbow with a smirk "Make it two- and you have to stop being reckless!" Cuphead nods his head, raising a hand "Alright.. No promises though!-" He said as he ran away as fast as he can "Last one there is a leaky cup!" He playfully teased.
• • •

Cuphead determinedly looked up at his brother's soul 'No. Im not letting you go!! Im not giving up!' He dropped down and grabbed his body using invincibility so he wouldn't hurt himself, and he lay him on the ground. He glared at the Devil and grabbed one of the axes that hit him and threw it on his right eye causing the foe to cry in pain, he quickly climbed his face and successfully parried his brother's soul. A huge wave of relief washed all over him once he saw his brother gasp, opening his eyes "Cuphead look out!" Cup shifted his gaze towards the thing in front of him, but was too late and got hit by a flying skull. The Devil screamed in pain and frustration, and one of the floors that surround Mugman fell, leaving only three. Cuphead landed on his feet and continues shooting the huge angry beast while Mugman shoots the annoying imps getting in their way. They feel a little overwhelmed by the number of attacks happening at the same time. After a while, the ground they are standing on started to shake, Mugman took his brother's hand and they jumped to the last remaining floor. They flinch as they hear the Devil crying in frustration, they saw one of the chips fall, so they jumped out of the way and dashed back on the platform.

A KNOCKOUT!

The brothers gasp out loud "W-We did it..?"
"Yeah! We did it! We did it Mugman!!" Cuphead tightly hugged his brother, as they felt themselves teleporting back into the Casino. The walls have tons of cracks, and so are the floors. Some curtains were on fire, and the room was a mess.

The brothers had triumphed against the demon, forcing him to finally give up "We shall accept your surrender, Devil!" Cuphead laughed "But we're not done just yet!"

And with that, Cuphead and Mugman destroyed all of the soul contracts, releasing Inkwell Isle's resident's from eternal servitude to the Devil.

"Gosh, I can't wait to tell everybody!" Cuphead said. The boys set off for home, and at top speed "C'mon! Last one there is a leaky cup!" Mugman teased as they ran.

Once home, the brothers gathered everyone together "You're all free from the Devil's debt!" Cuphead announced, "And that fiend won't bother us again!" Mugman added.

The Elder kettle was literally brimming with pride as everyone started to cheer: Let's hear it for Cuphead and Mugman!" "Hip-hip-hoorah!" "Hip-hip-hoorah!"

As an all-day celebration began, the brothers promised to never wander into trouble again. And they didn't- until the next time, of course! But that is another story...