CHAPTER 24

JANE...

"We didn't plan it, mom. It just happened, it was bound to happen." I tell her sternly not carring what happens after. "You can't just tell me to look for another boyfriend. I don't want another guy, I want Luke..." I continue.

"You will break up with Luke, Jane. That's an order."

***

I gasp as I open my eyes to meet Luke's blue eyes, my vision is blurry but I can feel the intensity in his eyes as he stares at me. He sits next to me, holding my hand firmly. So I was only dreaming, thank goodness. I rub my eyes, sitting up straight. I stretch my arms out and remove the hair that covers my face. I'm still mad at Luke, I don't want to talk to him but the way he's looking at me, I also feel sorry for him. I miss and love him all at the same time. He's really possessed me and he knows it. The spell he has on me is working overtime, this guy has me on my knees.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, covering my mouth from yawning.

"I'm sorry about yesterday, Jane." He mutters, reaching for my hand which I move away before he touches me. I'm not going to be a weakling right now. I know what we are doing is wrong but if I'm going to break up with Nathan so that we can work out then he has to make it clear to Hope that they can never be together or we're over, just like that. And that's it. No bullshit.

"Now I'm not even allowed to touch you?"

"Is there something going on between you and Hope?" Is my simple question and it's so intense that I don't even care how he takes it.

"I..."

"I want a yes or no, Luke nothing else. Are you still seeing Hope?" I sound stern right now and I don't give a damn.

"We..." He starts.

"What are we doing, Luke? Are we in a relationship or I'm just your scapegoat or you're my scapegoat...I don't know."

"You're not a scapegoat, Jane. Hope and I..."

"You what? Having fun? Doesn't seem like it to her." I exhale, palming my face. "I think we have to..."

"To what?" He immediately interrupts my statement. I know he's going to object but at this point, it seems like none of us is ready to man up and face the reality, we are step siblings and we're in a forbidden romance kind of thing which can ruin a good marriage. After that none of my parents will ever trust me with their partners' children because I fell in love with my step I wouldn't even consider calling him brother. It's a messed up...well fucked up situation.

"Break it off. Let's face it, Luke. We're not capable of facing the consequences if this comes out in the open."

"You're breaking up with me?"

"It's better this way, we can all be happy and our parents wouldn't have to be a problem anymore. My mom would..."

"What is it with you and your mom? Why are you so scared of her?" He stands up abruptly.

"She's my mom, Luke. I want her to be happy and she seems happy with Roger."

"At the expense of your own happiness? That's fucked up, Jane."