CHAPTER 43

JANE...

The day goes on as usual and just like that we're back at home, Luke moved out so now I have to face the parents alone and that scares the shit out of me. I'm not ready to face my mom, she's tiring as hell. I enter the kitchen catching Monica peeling some veggies, I'm sure she's preparing supper. I look around and find no one else.

"She's in the garden, dear."

"What?"

"Your mother."

"I'm sorry if I'm being weird. I don't have the energy for her today." I say sincerely meaning it, my mom is a lot especially now that she knows the truth. She wants things done her way and me bring pregnant and my hormones sometimes controlling me, I end up being disrespectful to her.

"I understand, dear. Have you eaten anything? I saved some tortillas with sweet potato and cheese and some avocado."

"Ooh, my mouth just watered, please give me, gimme gimme gimme." Everytime I see food my mood suddenly changes for the better. After Monica warns up my food, she hands it to me and I happily accept with a wide smile spreading on my face.

"Luke isn't coming back?"

"He moved out."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, I wish things were different."

"You know, Monny, you really are a great mother, I hope your sons know that."

"You're sweet."

"Thanks... but I mean it, you're a great mom. I wish all mothers were like you."

"Oh really now? Finally showing how you feel about me, huh?" Hearing my mother's voice took away all the appetite I had for the food Monica made and I wanted to gag all of a sudden. "Why don't you just tell the world how much you hate me, Janet?" She continues slowly taking a few strides towards me.

I drop my spoon on the plate and push the plate away. "Monny, thank you for the food."

"But you barely touched it. You need to eat, Jane."

I offer her a small smile and jump off the high stool. "I'll have it later." I proceed to pass by my mom but she grabs my arm so painfully hard that I wince in pain.

"Where do you think you're going? I'm still talking to you."

"Mom, you're hurting me."

"Good, then that means I'll knock some sense into your thick skull and you can finally abort this thing you call a child. Then we can all be a family and be happy again."

"Mom."

"Madam, you're hurting her." Monica tries to interfere but my mom immediately raises her hand stopping her from talking and interfering.

"You stay out of this, this is my daughter, only I decide how I reprimand her. And when she is making a mistake, I am within my rights to correct her. Whom do you think you are? The lady of the house?"

"Madam..."

"You are nothing more than a helper in this house. How I handle things in my family is none of your goddamn business so stay in your lane."