49 | Broken Friendships

"400 members of Tenjiku versus 50 members of Toman." Izana said. "How will you handle this Toman? Entertain us!"

Left without an answer, Izana turned to one of the Four Heavenly Kings. "Shion, you're up."

"Today's fore-runner will be me!" Madarame announced. "Former president of the Black Dragons, Tenjiku's Four Heavenly Kings, Madarame Shion! Who will Toman send?"

Takemichi held a perplexed expression in response. "'Forerunner'? What does that mean?"

"It's S-62's infamous ritual!" Yamagishi answered. "They liven' up the battle by starting with a one-on-one battle."

"...I see." Takemichi stepped up, remembering that you had said that Madarame couldn't fight a child for candy if he wanted to. Of course, that was probably according to his power against yours, but Takemichi was confident he could win. "Since I took the lead for today's battle, it should be me!"

"Come on, stop joking around Toman!" Madarame teased. "Mikey, Draken, Mitsuya, and Smiley... None of your MVPs are around! And no one's around to be forerunner either?!"

But Peh-yan stepped forward. "Your opponent will be me." He turned to Takemichi. "You're acting as president today, so step back." Then back to Madarame. "Tokyo Manji Gang, Acting Third Division Captain, Hayashi Ryouhei."

Veins poked through Madarame's skin in annoyance. "Whatever! I can take down Toman by myself!"

"This one-on-one fight is important." Chifuyu told Takemichi. "It gives the winning side a morale boost."

"So you realized why it's important, huh? Shion is Tenjiku's top 'mad dog.'" Izana's proclamation was followed by encouraging cheers from Tenjiku for Madarame.

But Peh-yan maintained his stoic expression. "You know, after all this time you were talking..." His fist flew into the side of Madarame's face. "I don't get a single shit!"

Jaws dropped the same way Madarame did.

Takemichi remembered your notebook. He thought you had just overestimated Peh-yan's brute strength, but now he was positive that you were never wrong. Well, almost never at least.

"Taka-chan said this before, 'Peh-yan might be stupid but in terms of strength, he is above me.'" Hakkai was right. Peh-yan didn't know what anyone was talking about 80-90% of the time, so he just kind of... punches.

"Speak Japanese, damn it." Peh-yan said, completely serious.

A satisfied smile appeared on Izana's face.

After beating the some of the top delinquents of Japan mere moments ago, seeing this would certainly boost his adrenaline. "You entertain well, Toman!"

"Takemitchy!" Peh-yan turned back to his president once again. "I leave the rest to you. Light the beacon for battle."

Takemichi stepped forward, his fists clenched, his eyes filled with determination, mimicking that of a true leader. He had made it. He was now the leader of Toman, whether temporarily or not. And he was going to see through it until the end.

"Everyone! Are you prepared?"

With the affirmative responses in play, Takemichi called out, "Kisaki!! This logn battle! Let's end it here!!"

"Today! Let's settle this once and for all!"

"LET'S GO!!"

Punches were thrown, kicks, blood splatter, it was just like any other battle, even if the uniforms of Toman seemed to be drowning amongst the crimson uniforms of Tenjiku.