74 | Pain of Memory

Silence can be scary. But as you sat in it with its companion being darkness, it was the first time your brain truly felt quiet in years.

The door opened and a man about the same age as your mom poked his head in. "Good morning."

"Don't be foolish, it's only 7:00."

"Ah, stupid to think I could fool the daughter of Haru." He sat at the foot of your bed. "I'm your un-biological uncle."

You stared at him for a moment, only catching glimpses of what he looked like from the light poking through the door. Tanned skin splattered with scars, a muscular build, faded freckles spread across his cheeks, and deep red hair.

"I'm Kale."

"Like... the vegetable?"

"Ah, so you speak English as well?"

You nodded, twiddling with your thumbs. "So, you're my un-biological uncle?"

"Yep. Haru asked me to check up on you."

"Well, ironically enough, I'm doing just fine in this dark little room underneath a casino. Have you gotten all the hidden cameras you used to spy on my friends?"

"They're working on it now. I'm just here to drop off some stuff we found at your house that we thought you might need." Kale placed a plastic bag on the foot of your bed. "We'll bring in a lamp or something."

You hummed in response, not really giving an affirmation or a negative response.

Kale didn't shut the door completely, leaving a sliver of light for you to use to see.

You pulled the plastic bag towards you and peered inside. There was the obvious - medications and period things - and then a few other things.

Two stuffed animals, neither of them actually large enough to cuddle with, a camera that you always kept on your shelf, a few books, and your wallet.

You pulled out the wallet and opened it, showing the photo you took five years ago with the founding members of Toman. It had fold lines and was ripped in one corner and faded in colour.

You slipped it out of the pocket in your wallet and stared at it for a while. Remembering when times were simple and you had little to worry about in life. Why did it hurt?

Well, there's a reason your eyes hurt when you see light after being in the dark for so long.

Happy memories hurt in bad times. You don't realize what will be the good old days until it's all just a memory.

You lied down, holding the photo in front of your face for a few minutes, taking in every detail.

The green light in the background despite there being hundreds of people on the road.

The gloves over Pah-chin's hands even though it wouldn't help him in any situation.

Mitsuya's arm around you even thought you specifically told him you were fine.

Kazutora and Baji grinning even thought everyone else looked so serious.

You closed your eyes. A shame that you brain couldn't do the same thing a camera could, capturing a moment and catching every little detail it gets in frame. You wanted to close your eyes and relive a moment with every little detail.

Life would be a little easier for you.

•••

"Emma and Hina mentioned Y/N having a little half-sister." Takemichi reported. "But she said that she could never meet her." The group was in your room (by your mom's permission) and had just about everything relating to your family at their disposal.