90 | Soulmates

Souls that are woven together by the gods always find each other again. No matter who died first, how one died, or how they live their lives. They always find each other again.

Soulmates, they are called.

They are not always couples. They can be friends, the closest of which.

Brothers, an inseparable pair the moment the gods sewed their features.

Sisters, whether exactly the same or polar opposites.

A parent and their child. Oh, what a burden it would be for one to leave before the other, before the fates allowed them to experience their lives together.

The greatest gift to a parent, whether it be a father or mother, is or must be their child. Their greatest burden, blessing, and promise is always their child.

So, when a parent leaves too soon, how far would they go to find their child again?

"Mikey, Emma!" You called. "Ji-chan, I finished dinner!"

"You really didn't have to!"

"Screw that, I love Y/N-chin's cooking!"

You pulled at a chair to make sure Mikey wouldn't crash into it and he hopped onto it. "Wash your hands."

"But I didn't even do anything."

"You think I didn't hear you tinkering in your room? Ever since you found that old toy, you've been trying to fix it." You snapped in the sink's direction, where Emma was already washing her hands, and Mikey pouted, unmoving. "...I'll give you an extra Dorayaki."

And Mikey was at the sink.

"What a trade." Mikey's grandpa said, separating the chopsticks you placed in front of him.

"They're, like, 200 yen at the local convenience store, it's pretty fair. Emma, is Draken coming over?"

She nodded. "Is that alright?"

"Of course." You opened the drawer and took another plate.

"And, you're not going to eat?"

"I ate already. Besides, I'm leaving in fifteen, so I won't have time to eat."

"Where are you going?" Mikey wondered. "Is it someone's birthday or something?"

You shook your head and glanced at the clock. "Oh, actually, I should head out now." You kissed Mikey's grandpa's cheek and ran out the door with a quick wave.

•••

The front door was opened and you placed one door inside to grab the bag hanging on a nearby hook. "Dad, I'm taking Tora out!"

Your dad faced his arched brow at you. "You're taking the cat out?"

"Yes, the cat likes to run. Come Tora." The backup your word, Tora jumped out the door and you waved to your dad. "Mom's coming home in an hour so just tell her I'm out. She'll know where I am."

You shut the door and lifted Tora into your arms and within your sweater. "We're taking the motorcycle this time." He gave you a disapproving meow but you already mounted its seat and turned the key.

The engine started and you sped down the road towards your destination, a bright grin on your face, always painted on once you started your motorcycle—not the one the boys got you. The one Shinichiro got you.