84 | Leader

A thousand timelines you've seen. And none of them you were satisfied with.

You were a strategist. When you want an outcome, you will do everything in your power to get that outcome.

You've seen a thousand deaths, a thousand smiles, a million tears. And every time, you do everything in your power to avoid them. And no one knew. You didn't mind that they didn't. You didn't want them to know.

But something you always found in common with all the timelines was that Mikey suffered. And you keep searching for the timeline when he doesn't.

Not only that, but... Sanzu always has scars.

"Takemichi," You started. "if we ever enter a timeline where you're dissatisfied, would you go back again?"

He hesitated for a moment, then answered as if he hadn't at all. "Of course I would."

A chuckle left you. "I thought Shinichiro's power went on to me but... It seems like it landed in your hands."

His eyes widened a bit but you faced away from him so he couldn't get a read on you, which was impossible anyhow.

"You made a promise to me a while back." You cracked your knuckles. "Mind keeping it?"

A promise that weighed on his mind for a long time.

"I always planned on it."

"Good man." You finally looked at him. "I made a promise to Shi-nii-chan a long time ago. About time I keep it."

You said it in every timeline where you met Shinichiro. That you'd take care of Mikey. At some point, though, that turned into a gang.

And at some point, they turned into your brothers.

"We've gotta find Aiko." You told Mikey. "If he gets away, this gang won't disband."

"I know. I swear I'll kick his ass the moment I find him."

"You're the one who made him run off!" Although he's supposed to be the gang leader here. "I'll go—"

When you made that step, it was like time stopped for a moment, just for you.

A gunshot seemed to whisper in your ears like a TV at low volume and Mikey fell to the floor.

And when time unpaused, you spun around and pushed Mikey. The gunshot sounded just like you had envisioned and it hit your shoulder.

"You damn Sanos... are so fucking prone to dying!"

"Y/N—!"

You stumbled but didn't fall. "It's just my shoulder, I'll be fine." You clicked your tongue. "It'd make a gnarly scar. But we found him."

Your finger aimed through the crowd to the source of the bullet.

"Murderous git."

"What's a git?"

"It's a— Never mind, you'll never need to use it." You clasped your hand over your wounded shoulder and drew in a breath. "Let Takemichi take care of Toman."