Allied

Ilus was sitting at his desk in his bedroom and wrote down a few strategies against The Order of the Polar Fox to present them to his gang by the start of the next shift. Suddenly he heard a loud explosion and he immediately ran on top of the crossing above the open main hall: "What happened?!". Arrow looked at him from down there wide-eyed, held a rocket launcher behind his back and answered nervously: "I sneezed". "That was not a snezze!", Ilus protested. From the court in front of the fire escapes Lucky was to be heard panickingly screaming. The crossing was connected to the fire escapes, so Ilus ran outside and saw what were only the leftovers of what once used to be Lucky's car. Totally enraged he roared: "Who was that?!".

Through the fat hole in the wall he directly glared at Arrow's pale face. Stuttering he apologized: "I- I didn't mean to, I swear! But I actually sneezed and accidentially pulled the trigger!". Aghast Lucky viewed the huge junk heap: "I've been working on this car for four years and always improved it... So many tuning parts were used for this... And so many hours of hard work...". His mood turned over completely and he screamed: "I'll kill you!", while sprinting at him. Before Arrow died, Koi jumped in front of him and stopped Lucky: "I gave him access to the weaponry, it's my fault!". Ilus sighed heavily and leaned on the railing. Lucky and Koi discussed that until Lucky gave in. In the meantime, Ilus saw Henry standing at the mail box, taking out a few bills and a quite unique letter.

Silent Henry came back in and went right to the bedroom. To there Ilus followed him: "Is something wrong?". Gulping Henry explained meagerly: "A letter from Dexter...". "Open it", Ilus encouraged him. Hesitant Henry followed his instruction and read out loud: "Hey Henry, I couldn't resist and had to write to you. Of course, I don't want to be involved in your dangerous life, but I much less want to break off contact to you. I most wish to continue my travels and keep you informed about my days. Just what I've been wanting to do for all those years in which we haven't seen each other. The post card I enclosed, I made it myself. Hopefully you like it. New Zealand is really pretty. Maybe you're planning your next vacation for coming here. Until then I'm going to be somewhere else already. While in Seattle behind me three daily a nondescript moon shines and in Wellington the last hopeful sunlight sets. Best wishes, Dexter...".

Desperate Henry pulled his shoulders together: "Should I really keep in touch with him?". Ilus had other worries: "Repeat the last sentence, please". "Best wishes?", Henry was confused. "No, no", Ilus skeptically looked at the letter himself and repeated, "While in Seattle behind me three daily a nondescript moon shines and in Wellington the last hopeful sunlight sets". Henry became more contemplative: "It's written a bit weird, but while writing he always gets this poetic touch". "That's a clue - He's warning us", Ilus concluded, "Due to the time zones he already sees the sunset while we are sitting behind him almost a whole day back. He hopes that we're safe, because we only have three nights left". -"But why should Dexter know when Whitefur is going to attack?".

-"I can't explain that either. Would he have tried to rewrite the letter... Maybe he's being watched and he knows it. It's only important now that we have to be on edge. When was the letter written?". -"Yesterday...? How did it cross through the world so fast?". -"Eventually Dexter isn't sitting in New Zealand anymore and he's much closer than we're thinking... In front of Seattle are enough other cities so the moon shines behind him...". Breathing faster Henry shook his head: "He can't be dragged into this again". Calming Ilus took his hands: "He'll be smart enough to stay away himself. He probably just couldn't keep silent when he had the opportunity to warn you. I can understand your worries very well. Please don't lose your mind now. You're strong and I need you in that fight". Henry took a deep breath and nodded.

At the start of the shift almost everyone appeared on time for the meeting. Ilus could connect Lucky missing very well with Koi's bleeding nose, so he didn't question and went right in: "Everyone, listen up, this is highly important. Before we'll talk about the strategies, I want to note that we just got a letter in which we've been possibly warned. If Teddy and I read it correctly, then with today we'll have only three nights remaining, until Whitefur and his weird zoo attack. If warning or not - I want everybody to be ready by then". Shark spoke up: "We are ready to fight today already". Consent was called out by the whole team. Energetically Ilus smiled: "Then we won't get overrun and we will win!".

~~~

The plans were talked about and Ilus noted down improvements. After the shift, he would replace the old ideas by the new ones. But first of all, he called Zigz in for a private talk. They sat down in the forecourt and Ilus inhaled: "Zigz, I don't want to be in need of blowing up in your face. Everytime you're doing something for Kiki or are just getting close to her, I don't necessarily react with my friendliest side. Just because I know what you had with that Taya back then and though Kiki is tough, I don't want to see her get hurt by stupid men - again". Understanding Zigz nodded silently. "But that was then and I know by now that Kiki means too much to you. You regret everything and actually, you're quite reasonable. Usually I would now tell you to go and get her. Keep trying". Hesitant Zigz glanced at him: "Usually?".

Ilus had a hard time explaining: "By now I don't want you to do it for other reasons. Not only are you in my first league. You were one of the first to join my group. I've known you for ten years, ever since I was eight years old". Zigz tried to bend the topic into a different direction: "And still you've raised me more than I raised you". "Nobody raised anybody here, we're best friends", he felt depressed, "That's exactly why I couldn't let you move in a house and start a life on your own with Kiki. Or any woman. You belong here. I also know you well enough that you feel more than home here. Obviously, I can't chain you here. What I'm meaning to say - Someday you're supposed to follow your dreams and goals. But for now... please stay for a little while in my mad house...". Lightening up Zigz laughed: "Do you really think I would be gone in the next week and would have a chance already? I'm glad that I don't have to be afraid, when I want to settle down one day. Of course I'll stay in business for a few more years. You know, I'm not the oldest one here. I won't give up so early".

Relieved Ilus smiled: "Thank god. You have no idea how happy that makes me". Zigz patted his shoulder: "After so many escapades in your body, I don't want to be more of a burden. Should we go back to work then?". The Chef nodded: "Hell yeah!". With a reassured grin they entered the main hall. Pleased Henry said when Ilus returned to his desk: "I'm seeing happy faces". "At no other work place you'll find such amazing collegues", Ilus mysteriously shrugged. In that moment Arrow came running down panicking: "I shouldn't even try to apologize!". Koi followed right after to stop Lucky. At the end of the stairs Koi just picked him up, so Lucky fidgeted around over his shoulder: "Will you let me down right now! I need to scratch this bastard's eyes out!". Ilus corrected himself: "There are a few exceptions every now and then".

To interrupt Ilus whistled loudly: "Lucky, if you'll hurt him, I won't promote you to first league!". Like that Lucky hung over Koi's shoulder silently twitching his eye. Ilus added: "You only can't stand him because Deadpool's enemy was called Ajax". "Francis!", Lucky growled. Koi let him down and approached Ilus: "Chef, I've got a request concerning the angry leprechaun. I'd need a few days off of work for the two of us". Over his shoulder he gestured at Lucky. "Yes?", Ilus listened.