The meaning of "best friends"

Screams from Whitefur were coming from the basement once again. They were in the middle of the shift, so Ilus looked around confused. Shark was on a mission, Koi was sitting upstairs with Lucky and Henry was close by his desk. He noticed that Zigz was missing. He shrugged and kept noting things down. Leisurely Koi came down the stairs as he spun his Butterfly knife around his fingers. Ilus sighed and took a sign out of underneath his desk. Before Koi went into the basement, Ilus put the sign in front of the staircase. Koi looked at the "Don't kill!" sign and nodded rolling his eyes: "Yes, Chef". "I'm only making sure, have fun", he walked a step back.

On half his way Koi could already smell the iron content of the blood. He called: "Sorry Zigz for running late, I dozed off". For a moment the screams stopped and Zigz huffed out of breath: "No worries, I have him under control". Koi came around the corner and he noticed: "Whoops, didn't he use to have fingers once?". "That wasn't me", Zigz shook his head, "But I've got an idea". He grabbed Whitefur's head and growled: "Teddy", to which he screamed loudly. With a hard punch he quieted down. Afterwards, Zigz asked: "I have to apologize, I've already damaged him quite badly for today. Did you want to do much?". "Oh, I'm here for the first time. I could've waited, because I only wanted to revenge Shota, but he's fine again. But now this dirtbag almost took my best friend away from me. Trust me, I still see enough points that don't leave him for the dead. For example, he brought some pretty bad patters", he shrugged. "He's already missing his tongue. We're both a bit late", Zigz mentioned and leaned against a wall.

"That sucks...", Koi simpered, "But all his body parts are still in place". He put the knife away and twisted his leg so it cracked. Pensive he scratched his head: "Huh, that was for breaking his leg. How did dislocating go again?". He tried again with the other leg and mumbled between Whitefur's screams: "That wasn't it either...". Zigz informed him as he wrung his shirt from the blood: "I'll go back to work". Fiercely Koi smashed Whitefur's spine with his elbow and nodded: "Alright. I'll come back in about one to two hours. Depending on how much his thigh bones can take". With that Zigz walked up the stairs and meant to Ilus: "Koi's pulverizing his bones". "Oh no, how terrible", untroubled he looked at his phone. "And someone took his fingers", he obviously pointed at Henry. He was currently showing Dexter a few devices for a more private communication. Ilus thought about it and reminded then: "I've made him this way".

"When it's about Whitefur you couldn't care less, could you? No matter how much it turns out just how dangerous we actually are?", he questioned. "You seem to still worry about me, so I'm not assuming that you're going to backstab me some day. That's all that counts", Ilus explained, "And as if I wouldn't already know how sick you all are here. I wouldn't have picked you otherwise. Not just you four I'm letting spend time with that doggyknobber. Everybody is allowed to go in and torture him, whenever they want. It's just that you have the priority to really hurt him". "Sometimes I'm wondering how it would've been if you two stayed friends...", Zigz mumbled and went to the bathrooms. To himself Ilus muttered: "Then I would probably be invincible...".

He put his pen down and called: "Teddy, please keep an eye on my phone" and went to the nursery. With two other members Lucky was still lying there. Fishhead asked: "Ilus, do you need something?" "No, I'm fine. Lucky, how are you doing?", he remained direct. He looked at him between multiple snacks and toys: "I'm being cherished more by Koi than by my parents when I was a child and had to go the hospital because of a surgery". Ilus advised him: "You should appreciate that". He nodded: "I do, but he doesn't appreciate himself. The thing with Bambi hurt him more than he shows. He didn't snap like that for no reason when he was finally able to kill her. He did that in the thought of all his past relationships. He's starting to self doubt". -"It's Koi, he'll be strong again in a few months". -"That's true. I just don't like how harsh he's treating himself at the moment". -"If it makes both of you feel better, then please take care that he won't lose his head again like that any time soon". -"Trust me, I won't let that happen ever again. Not as long as I haven't been fully convinced that he's not dealing with a hussy. Koi has cried too many times". -"He has? Weren't that only one-two times?". With big eyes Lucky held his mouth shut and whispered afterwards: "I haven't said anything".

Before the conversation could continue on, Ilus was tapped by a pale Dexter. "You do not look healthy", Ilus marked. Quietly he said: "This newbie has a bigger and more temperamental mouthwork than Koi". -"Arrow? What did he say?". "For five minutes straight he defended his weight very vulgarly", was his only response. Ilus wanted to have more info: "What did you say to him beforehand?". "I told him that his gaming t-shirt fitted his hobby...", the utter confusion was audible. "I'm still trying to figure his personality out myself. He's only been here for a few weeks", he scratched his head and turned to Lucky again: "Like said, please take care of Koi. It's good if that was your plan already any way. You know who you can call if you need something".

Together with Dexter they went into the main hall and on the stairs he already spoke threatingly: "Arrow, we need to talk". Straight away he turned to him and was attentive: "Yes, Chef?". "It seems like you misinterpreted Dexter's comment. Dexter is so nice, he couldn't even harm a fly. He can only become upset", Ilus talked into him and Dexter's usual face color returned: "Hey!". "See? Now he likes me less again, but he would never attack me and never say anything bad to you. Apologize", Ilus added. Arrow was silent first, then meant: "I appreciate that and accept my mistake, but I don't appreciate that you're talking to me like my father, when you're only a few months older than me". Ilus felt attacked and retreated pouting: "But I'm nineteen already...". Arrow offered Dexter his hand: "I'm sorry, in this world you need to be careful". Dexter accepted his hand, but was sad: "Who hurt you so much that you have so little trust?". Irritated he looked at him: "You really are too nice, don't get fooled by the wrong people".

Stunned Dexter blanked. Henry looked up from Ilus' phone and was bewildered: "Did something happen?". He kneeled down in front of the desk and sighed: "I really don't fit in here". "Your flight will take off next week. Surely you're excited to visit Norway, then you can join your parents on their travels", Henry encouraged him. -"Yeah, they supported me a lot with my therapy. Though it was incredibly hard to lie to them and don't blow your cover...". -"Ilus appreciates that very much". -"What about your parents?". -"Oh... uh... You know...? They know where I'm at". The next awkward silence was broken by Henry nervously adding: "I don't want to go on vacation with them anymore!". Thereupon Dexter laughed: "I'll let that slide".