prologue

Our perception of good and bad is tainted

Our perception of good and bad is tainted. We see someone who acts a certain way and label them "bad". But we are not one to judge what someone is going through. We are all on our own journey and it is inevitable to make mistakes along the way.

When I first entered my new friend Chasity's house, I was taken aback by the number of brothers she had. But what was more surprising to see was how respectful they all were to me. Growing up in an environment where I was the only hijabi, I felt as if I was an outcast. People were nice to me but it was hard to know if their kindness was genuine or if they had ulterior motives.

However, when I met the Russo family and the realization hit that they were not uncomfortable with how I looked, it felt like platonic love at first sight.

But the moment that will forever bring butterflies to my stomach was when I met Angelo Russo.

Angelo made an amazing first impression.

Usually, when someone first meets me, they look me up and down and stare at my hijab as if it was shame worthy.

Yet even though Angelo was drunk he did not try to overstep any boundaries. He smiled at me like I was the only thing that mattered in this world and said two words that I never believed...until now.

"You're stunning." His tone was genuine. He made me feel as if I was pretty. 

I replied by saying that his tattoos were nice. I knew he had tattoos but my eyes couldn't leave his to see if my claim was true. Because if it did, they would wander.

I bid goodbye and left. I enjoy the Russo family's company. They are perfect.

✧:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Growing up I was a cute child. Everyone would praise me for how adorable I was. But once I hit the age of 13, people started reminiscing about the old me and started judging how I looked.

Inaya why do you have so much acne on your face?

Are you gaining weight, you look different?

You used to look so cute, what happened?

No one told me that this was going to happen. No one told me that once I stopped fitting into society's beauty standards people would start treating me differently.

When the only thing you can focus on is what other people think of you, you start getting distant. And then they start to talk again...

Inaya why are you always so quiet?

You used to be so full of livelihood what happened?