31

With Hamza's wedding fast approaching and the Russos being certain that they will attend I decide that it is time for baba and amma to meet Angelo

Although I wish that I never have to go through that awkward introduction phase I realize that it would be even more awkward if they were to meet at the wedding.

I pace around the hallway gaining the confidence to talk to baba when I finally decide to just go through with it. I enter the living room smiling, "Baba, can Angelo come over so you and amma can meet him?"

Baba turns his attention away from the television and looks at me. "Of course. Tell him to come over today after Maghrib. Your amma most likely won't want to meet him but she won't be able to avoid him the whole night if he comes over to our house." Baba says mischievously and I laugh.

"Okay, thank you. I will invite him now." I walk back to my room and grab my phone, scrolling down my contacts until I find Angelo's name. I dial his number and he answers on the first ring.

"Hi, Inaya." He says and I can hear the screams of the Russo children in the distance. How pleasant.

"Hi. Are you busy tonight?" I ask him, walking around my room.

"No, never for you. Why, is everything alright?" He seems to ask that question a lot.

"No, I am good. However, I'm wondering if you would like to come over tonight after Maghrib to meet my parents or at least baba?" I question biting my lip hard. What if Angelo thinks it's too soon? What if I am ruining everything?

"I would love to, Naya." He says and I exhale painfully. Angelo is going to meet my parents tonight. Oh my, Allah.

"That's perfect. I'm so excited, yay!" I sarcastically say with a shaky laugh. Angelo meeting my parents is a huge step in our relationship. It makes everything feel real. It was always real but this step is scary. I don't want to mess everything up.

"Inaya, please stop overthinking. Your father has already accepted me and I am not too horrible for him to change his mind. I am not too sure about how your mother will react but I will try my best to prove to her that I do care for you." Angelo tells me but I doubt amma cares if he loves me. What only matters to her is culture and ethnicity.

"Insha'Allah," I say exasperatedly upset that amma is putting her wants on top of my needs.

"Everything will work out in the end, Inaya. It is all okay, you hear me?" He asks as I belly flop onto my bed regretting every life decision I made.

"Yeah. Everything will be fine." I say trying to convince myself.

"You sound a bit tired. Why don't you take a small nap? That sounds good, yeah?" He asks and I groan. How does Angelo know me so well?

"You are right. Bye, Angelo."

'"Bye, Inaya."

I hung up but instead of falling asleep, I stare at the wall for three hours going over every little event that has happened in my twenty-one years of living. Before I know it the time has elapsed and the adhan for Maghrib begins playing from my phone.